Thread: General machine

Thanks

Default General machine

I rented a General Machine to clear a drain, at a customers house. 1/2 inch cable, 100', belt driven. I did get the drain open, but that machine was weaker than a baby. I have cleared the drain in the past with a k-1500, but since I was doing this on my own that machine was not available.

Is this something I could expect with General, if so I am definitely taking them off my list of consideration.

Ok, for the next thing. I have done this drain many times, and it clears in the weirdest way. I can snake out 100', and nothing will happen. I then pull back and go out again, and bam the dumb thing clears. This happens every-time, but the thing is I just cleared it a couple of months ago. I do not pull anything out. I have told the customer the only right way to fix it is replace the line.
    What could the problem be?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 529 Posts

I have a few General machines, I think of them as rental store machines not a pro machine. As for the problem drain My gut feeling is grease or something else that is gooey so you go thru it but it just forms around the cable and stays clogged, and you just get lucky on the second pass that it goes away. A camera will tell the tale now that it is cleared enough to see. I would need more info to make a better guess.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuda For This Useful Post:

UnclogNH (08-08-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,159 Posts

What fixtures are feeding this line? I would also recomend a video camera to see exactly what is going on. I would guess that you might have a bit of a belly in the line holding sludge and/or grease. Like Cuda said, something soft that needs a few passes though to finaly let go. Next time you go out there mark the cable at the point where it clears. That way you'll know how many feet out the problem is and when you run the video you know where to look. Does the cable come back greasy?

Paul

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
    Rocksteady Plumbing
    805-237-7625

"I wash my cables with sooper special zircon soap and lube them with zebra fat after every job." -Ace Sewer

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rocksteady For This Useful Post:

UnclogNH (08-08-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,063 Times in 3,034 Posts

General drain machines are not my choice for sewers. Duracable, Mytana, electric eel model C with a drill I like. General's Super vee is good for doing 1 1/4- 2" lines use mine mostly for small overhead clean outs or drum traps with access on the bottom. General makes a great toilet auger.

1/2 inch cable is to small for sewers can flip and get stuck very easy.
    Like you said you had to rent it to clear the line. Camera the line because they keep having problems could be a sag holding grease, waste, toilet paper pulp sludge mix. When you pass your cable out 100' and the line does not clear it does clear in reverse and chews the sludge up on the way back. As you chew up the clog on the way back in the clog begins to lose mass and weight and the weight of the water in the sewer becomes greater than the clog and pushes the clog out to the city sewer.
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    "We Keep New Hampshire Flowing"
    http://unclognh.com
    603-752-2145 Berlin NH, Area 603-356-6555 North Conway NH, area

Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it

Thanks

i have a general speed rooter 91. its a great machine!!! i love it

Thanks

As for the drain.
    It is the main drain of the house

There is nothing that comes back

Every-time I have snaked it, it is the same. One pass nothing, second pass clear.

I have used a Electric eel, General, and K-1500, it does not matter what is used its the same. I have recommend a camera, but in the end, the only fix is digging.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Indie For This Useful Post:

UnclogNH (08-08-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,317 Posts

Which model General drum machine did you rent as they are all belt driven ? I wouldn't be clearing main lines with 1/2" cable unless it's the .55 magnum cable.

I don't think much of 1/2" cable, it's to small for mains and to large for sink lines
    Last edited by AssTyme; 08-08-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Thread Information