Thread: Sewer insurance and its effects on buisness

Thanks

Default Sewer insurance and its effects on buisness

For the last few years in my area a several cities and municipalities have promoted a sewer and water service insurance for residences. Basically the home owner who buys it pays 6 dollars a month for sewer and 6 a month for water service. If a sewer back up occurs, the insurance sends a plumber/drain cleaner who opens the line (or not depending on circumstances) or a spot repair is made if the sewer is completely shut down. If the water service breaks or is damaged the same occurs.
    The insurance companies have there own contractors for this, one of which I sub for. At one point I was getting between 20 and 30 calls a week. It has since trickled down to mabey 5 on a good week. The company is constantly using cheaper and cheaper contractors and many of the jobs I go out on are to clean up the new guys' mess. But I am getting off subject.
    Does anybody else have this insurance in their area? I get asked about it by many customers who havent yet bought into it and when the question pops up I cringe. I work throughout a very large metro area so I dont worry about it shrinking my customer base too much, but I know some guys in smaller areas who are waging daily battles with there city and the insurance companies. In one particular situation the insurance agreed to only use local contractors, but once almost the entire town bought they began bringing in cheaper outside guys, cutting out the locals. Nasty.

Thanks

Don't have the time to get into it now but I'm strongly against it. We have it here for the last year or so. I could write a lengthy dissertation on all the things wrong with it from a governmental level all the way down to the shoddy work. I mean they're repairing orangeburg for Christ sake! What reputable plumber makes a repair to orangburg?! Anyway I'm on vacation and this is a really sore subject with me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NYC drain guy For This Useful Post:

draindit (10-01-2014)

Thanks

Yeah they only do spot repairs no matter what and they only repair completely collapsed lines. I have seen some clay sewers thaat looked like they had a hand grenade tossed down them and the insurance would refuse repair because they could still be opened, barely. I think they figure if you have a whole new line installed then why would you need the insurance? I have seen some pretty botched jobs as well. I personally believe that it can't last and / or sustain itself. Im hoping it fizzles out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to draindit For This Useful Post:

NYC drain guy (10-01-2014)

Thanks

We don't have a specific plumbing or drainage insurance, but have a similar system called 'home assist', run by a 24 hour vehicle breakdown service company as an add on to their vehicle breakdown service. I think it's about 80 bucks a year.
    It has not had a negative effect on my work, but have occasionally had customers call me saying the RACV had in fact passed my number on to them as they were to busy to attend.

Thanks

I have actually profitted from it, being a sub contractor, but I think in the big picture they are not helping the buisness. Most people are tickled pink to find out they can have their sewer opened, sometimes multiple times a year depending on the severity of the problem or quality of the contractor, for the low cost of 6 bucks a month and never have to pay a dime more. As long as that person keeps up on the insurance, drain cleaners like myself have lost a customer to what ever contractor happens to be in the insurances companies' good graces that month for cutting the throat of the last guy.
    My only hope is that the cost of doing this kind of buisness greatly out weighs the money being brought in and they go belly up. Im trying to stay positive hehe

Thread Information