Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: 1st job with Dreel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 428 Times in 260 Posts

    Default 1st job with Dreel

    I did my 1st job with my new drill and eel set up (I haven't used a dreel in years). 6 catch basin lines ranging from 4"- 6". So far, so good. Working outside with it was a piece of cake. This thing is really going to come in handy at times.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Boston Ma.
    Posts
    52
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default Sectional cable

    I've always used drum machines.
    The last company I worked for primarily used drum machines, but kept Eel at the shop for certain applications ie, roof jobs, commercial & industrial main lines with no accessible clean out, floor drain access runs over 100'.
    For the 1st time ever (last night) I was wishing I had some. Ranch style house, tiny little bathroom, I mean TINY. Like a jail cell. Could barely fit my machine in it.
    Now I know I could have used my 1/2 " cable with round double 3" cutters, but a huge root ball could be a disaster,and more than likely will be a re-call .He told me the line has backed up several times thru the years and the guys have cleared it from the roof.

    Really think I need to get some but don't want to spend a fortune on it because I know it will only be used for odd ball jobs like I mentioned. Any suggestions for diameter and brand, length sections. Last company use Eel brand and it was nice but like 60-70$ a section.


    Thanks Matt

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 428 Times in 260 Posts

    Default

    It definitely comes in handy for tight spots. The main reason I got it was I do a lot of work in upscale neighborhoods. Rugs all up and down basement stairs and long main line stoppages out towards the street. Mostly tree roots. I figured its easier to run 150' of eel cable than it is to get a K-7500 down a flight of basement stairs covered with white rugs. The only problem is hoping that where the house trap is located has been unfinished.

    I've got a 10" and a 12" storm drain line full of roots to clean over the next two Saturdays. Last summer I rented a General model 88 and got them running. I'll try it with the Dreel this time around.

    As far as brand is concerned, I bought General 8' sections with 5/8" inner core for 52.75 a section. Got them from a local supplier. Blades, adapter,and cable carriers from AJ Coleman.
    Last edited by NYC drain guy; 04-07-2014 at 08:35 PM.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYC drain guy For This Useful Post:

    Redwood (04-13-2014), TheDrainGuy (04-08-2014)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 428 Times in 260 Posts

    Default

    Used the Dreel today on a 10" storm drain line with roots. I can't believe how well it performed. It actually out performed the Model C and General 88 that I used on the same line last year. I started with smaller root saws on the first few passes but was able to get an 8" saw through in the end. The 8" took a bit of work, but it cut out a couple of roots that were as thick as small branches. It was a root massacre! I should of invested in this setup sooner. I've got another line next Saturday, that one is 12". I really had my doubts about the DW124 performing in large lines. So far no issues.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NYC drain guy For This Useful Post:

    Jerry Mac Hodge (04-17-2014), phishfood (04-19-2014), Redwood (04-13-2014)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,556
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,321 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYC drain guy View Post
    It definitely comes in handy for tight spots. The main reason I got it was I do a lot of work in upscale neighborhoods. Rugs all up and down basement stairs and long main line stoppages out towards the street. Mostly tree roots. I figured its easier to run 150' of eel cable than it is to get a K-7500 down a flight of basement stairs covered with white rugs. The only problem is hoping that where the house trap is located has been unfinished.

    I've got a 10" and a 12" storm drain line full of roots to clean over the next two Saturdays. Last summer I rented a General model 88 and got them running. I'll try it with the Dreel this time around.

    As far as brand is concerned, I bought General 8' sections with 5/8" inner core for 52.75 a section. Got them from a local supplier. Blades, adapter,and cable carriers from AJ Coleman.

    That's some heavy azz cable how many feet you carry in a rand ?

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 428 Times in 260 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AssTyme View Post
    That's some heavy azz cable how many feet you carry in a rand ?
    5 at a time in an eel cable carrier.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,556
    Thanks
    1,890
    Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,321 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYC drain guy View Post
    5 at a time in an eel cable carrier.


    You must be eatin' your Wheaties These are the tight wound General cables or the General cables with the more open Eel type winding ?


    I also carry 5 eight foot sections in an Eel carrier but they are the 1/2" inner core Eel cables.
    Last edited by AssTyme; 04-17-2014 at 09:35 AM.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 428 Times in 260 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AssTyme View Post
    You must be eatin' your Wheaties These are the tight wound General cables or the General cables with the more open Eel type winding ?


    I also carry 5 eight foot sections in an Eel carrier but they are the 1/2" inner core Eel cables.
    Lol. They are a bit heavy. They're the more open wound ones, similar to eel. I just got 4 more sections of eel brand from Coleman. I've got another root massacre to attempt this Saturday.

    I met a friend of mine on a job yesterday. House trap is in a crawl space, approx 120' to the city. Big tree right at the curb. We attempted the 1065 with one guy at the trap, the other outside with the machine. As soon as it hit roots, the cable got stuck. Told him to pull the cable out and put the machine away. I broke out the dreel and that's all she wrote. He was so impressed that he's going to buy a dreel setup as well. The customer called him again today to thank us. The customer said that he'd never seen two guys get a job done the way we did.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    583
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked 312 Times in 213 Posts

    Default

    I'm impressed that you were able to get the 5/8" innercore cable to pass through the house trap at all!

    I also use the Eel HD 5/8" IC cable. It is a bit heavy, but I don't worry about it flipping. I need to get a couple 1/2" IC cables to use a leaders when going in from a 3" or 3.5" cleanout. I also need some 10' cables for outside.

    What drill are you using. I was using my timberwolf, but the old girl shorted out a couple weeks ago. I have been having very good luck with my Holehawg but it is murder on my wrists. I am thinking of going to the Ridgid R7122 that they sell at HD. With the spade handle and side handle I can hold it kind of like an old British Sten submachine http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/im...sling_9(1).jpg gun. Seemed comfy in the store....trying to decide if its worth $169 to try it out.

    BTW, I carry 6 of the 5/8" IC cables in a rand. It weighs a ton, but I use a hand truck.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 428 Times in 260 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gretsch292 View Post
    I'm impressed that you were able to get the 5/8" innercore cable to pass through the house trap at all!

    I also use the Eel HD 5/8" IC cable. It is a bit heavy, but I don't worry about it flipping. I need to get a couple 1/2" IC cables to use a leaders when going in from a 3" or 3.5" cleanout. I also need some 10' cables for outside.

    What drill are you using. I was using my timberwolf, but the old girl shorted out a couple weeks ago. I have been having very good luck with my Holehawg but it is murder on my wrists. I am thinking of going to the Ridgid R7122 that they sell at HD. With the spade handle and side handle I can hold it kind of like an old British Sten submachine http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/im...sling_9(1).jpg gun. Seemed comfy in the store....trying to decide if its worth $169 to try it out.

    BTW, I carry 6 of the 5/8" IC cables in a rand. It weighs a ton, but I use a hand truck.

    I didn't go around the house trap, it was a double vent trap. I use the Dewalt DW-124. I cleared another 12" storm drain line this past Saturday with it. Once again it performed flawlessly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •