Thread: Septic tank pumping business

Thanks

Default Septic tank pumping business

We are thinking about getting into tank pumping. I have a few questions for those already in the biz. How long did it take to build a decent customer base? How long did it take to get a return on the investment? How much extra work is generated by pumping..ie drain cleaning, risers, baffles other small repairs?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ADBCONSTRUCTION1 View Post
    We are thinking about getting into tank pumping. I have a few questions for those already in the biz. How long did it take to build a decent customer base? How long did it take to get a return on the investment? How much extra work is generated by pumping..ie drain cleaning, risers, baffles other small repairs?
    I think it would depend on your area but for us we had visions of our septic truck running all day every day but that simply has never happened. However, like you mentioned, with all the ancillary services such as jetting, sewer and drain cleaning, camera work, and repairs, our time is well filled. In my opinion our pump truck quickly became the hub of our business and everything we do is like a spoke off of that wheel.

Although our pump truck isn't as busy as we would have liked it to be, it still shows a profit, and a good share of the other work we fill our time with links directly back to being in the septic / sewer business.

Another nice thing about the septic business is there are so many different directions you can go to diversify and yet still not be diversified beyond the scope of your business. The first and most obvious is septic installations, for which you will need excavating equipment, which then opens up the possibility of any sewer / septic repair work. You could get into industrial pumping, if you get a big hydro vac you can do hydro excavating. Camera work is an obvious if you don't do that already. Then there is hydro jetting, sewer lining, pipe bursting, smoke testing, septic inspections..... Use your imagination, but IMO you won't go wrong with a septic truck. As long as you're not in my area.
    Kendall
    www.westseptic.com

"Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and their politicians as a joke." Will Rogers

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SewerRat For This Useful Post:

ADBCONSTRUCTION1 (11-20-2013), Magic Touch III LLC (11-20-2013)

Thanks

We are in a very competitive market in terms of septic pumping. I can name six to eight companies in my area that offer that service. I hope to separate ourselves from the pack by offering one stop shopping . We can camera, we can jet, we are licensed septic installers as well as licensed sewer and water contractors. We have our own excavation equipment. I'm hoping by being the full compliment of services that will help us succeed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ADBCONSTRUCTION1 For This Useful Post:

SewerRat (11-26-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,019 Times in 2,351 Posts

I think you'll do well with it...

It probably will not be running all the time, but the right equipment opens other possibilities as well and supplements your existing operations...
    "99% of Being Smart...
    Is Knowing What You're Dumb At"

411 Plumb | Click Here For A Free Internet Plumbing Directory Listing | Plumb 411

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    I think you'll do well with it...

It probably will not be running all the time, but the right equipment opens other possibilities as well and supplements your existing operations...
    Well said.

David

Thread Information