Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spartan has terrible Customer Service

Thanks

Default Spartan has terrible Customer Service

First I gotta say that I've been a long time Spartan customer. I've given them thousands upon thousands of dollars over the years. Today I called to order a new backplate for my 300. For those not familiar with the term "backplate" that's what I call the piece that has the male plug and for/reverse/air switch on it. I tell the rep, who was clueless from the start, what I need and the type of motor I have as the style of motor matters. She informs me that they no longer make that plate for my style of motor but she has just the plug. I ask her how do I attach the plug to my current plate? She's says "I don't know" and no ones ever asked her that question before. I say no ones ever asked because you guys always sold the entire plate. I ask her what does she suggest I do? She says I can convert my older style of motor (which is only about 12-15years old and is far superior to the new garbage Spartan sells), to the new style. This would cost me close to a grand between new motor and wiring. Aside from converting, she says she has no idea what to tell me. Now Spartan has always been helpful in the past when it comes to trouble shooting so I'm a little ticked off by her response and there is no way I'm going to replace my perfectly working motor just for a plug. So I finally thank her for trying to help me and I say " I'll try to figure something out. I know some distributors such as Trojan stock Spartan style parts. Maybe I'll try them." Now I wasn't nasty or being a smart ass. She then flies off the handle and says "you're being really nasty" and hangs up on me. So I call back and ask for a supervisor. Instead I get another nasty rep and asks me what's the problem? I then explain the prior phone call and she has nothing to say other then "what can I help you with?" I say "you can start with an apology for the treatment I just received from the previous rep." Nothing but silence. Then I say "don't you care about customer service anymore?" Her only response is a nasty "Sir, how may I help you!?" I say "you know what? You can't. You've turned into a real crap company." That concluded my call. Sorry for the long post but companies like Spartan have been screwing us for a long time. They now make a cheaper product in China, and charge us more for it,and at the cost of American jobs. Then they discontinue making parts for machines that we pay a ton for, and then try and force us to buy their new garbage. All I want to say is a big Fuck you to Spartan. I'm done with them. Rant over.
    Last edited by NYC drain guy; 08-23-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 529 Posts

I bought the conversion wiring and air switch set up to fix my 1065 about a year ago but I had to make the backplate that it all went to out of sheetmetal.
    Seattle Drain Service
    Bryce Kennedy
    Sewer and Drain Contractor
    Http://www.seattledrainservice.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 543 Posts

i called for a qoute for a radaitor for my jetter in spring 3 times still no price....
    IF YOU CANíT FLUSH I WILL RUSH
    www.appletondrainandsewer.com
    1-920-284-7471
    Appleton WI

Thanks

If Gorlitz, Mytana, and others are still made in the U.S. and are profitable for all to earn a decent wage, then one can have a pretty reasonable conclusion that beginning Chinese production for a company with an established brand and infrastructure such as Spartan is nothing more than greed.

And, if Spartan will do that, which they have, then they will also begin to start putting people in as "Representatives" that are possibly hired from a temp service, or had some experience in sales, with probably a week of "training" in product. They don't know the product and don't care.

We've all seen or heard it before in other companies. Seems owners forget what the title of "Representative" means.

I remember reading the profile of the guy that bought Spartan. Owned an NBA sports team and other things. Soon as I read it I thought to myself "This guy is a shark" in business. He'll make the company make money however and probably start with offshore production of some type.

With proprietary, discontinued, or hard to find parts, all of us might find it much easier to go to a local machine shop. Even small ones have computer controlled CNC's etc. and often can make something for less costs than the original with the same or better quality.

Heck, soon we'll all have our own 3D printers making cable in the garage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by appletondrain View Post
    i called for a qoute for a radaitor for my jetter in spring 3 times still no price....
    Might be better to call the engine manufacturer. They can probably give you options for what you're doing.

Heck, you could probably size it yourself and order something for less from an auto, tractor, or lawnmower parts dealer.

Thanks

That's too bad. I also gave up on Them. Love their machines, dislike everything else. Allan J Coleman in Chicago is my source for all things Spartan. They really do know their shit.

Thanks

I called a guy who used to be my Spartan rep years ago, he now works independently selling several different drain cleaning machine brands. He said no problem, he's got the part I need and I'll have it on Monday. So we get to talking about Spartan and I tell him the above posted story. He's not shocked, said customer service is in the toilet. He also told me this little story so take it for what its worth; several years back Spartan accidentally circulated a document to their sales reps showing Spartans actual cost of machines and cables. As soon as corporate realized their error, the immediately sent out a memo stating that sales reps were not to open the letter, it was for "their eyes only", and the letter should be immediately destroyed. Well obviously this guy read the document and he claims that a 300 machine costs Spartan around 300 bucks to build and cables about 25. He didn't specify what cables. I'm not sure of the year this transpired but he did say that they were selling the 300's for around 2100 at the time. He too called them greedy motherf**kers. Like I said, take it for what its worth but I know this guy a long time and I tend to believe him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    Might be better to call the engine manufacturer. They can probably give you options for what you're doing.

Heck, you could probably size it yourself and order something for less from an auto, tractor, or lawnmower parts dealer.
    i brought it to a local shop and had it repaired.
    IF YOU CANíT FLUSH I WILL RUSH
    www.appletondrainandsewer.com
    1-920-284-7471
    Appleton WI

Thanks

We had a lot of trouble with them when our three month old camera shit the bed. They took our camera to repair it and held it for three weeks before claiming they could not get parts for the monitor. We lost it......the camera was three months old! They ended up upgrading us to their new camera for $500. This new camera uses an iPad so that fun......but I feel like the quality is not good and we have already had some issues. We literally had to yell and scream to even get them to answer our questions when they had our original camera for repair

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ADBCONSTRUCTION1 View Post
    We had a lot of trouble with them when our three month old camera shit the bed. They took our camera to repair it and held it for three weeks before claiming they could not get parts for the monitor. We lost it......the camera was three months old! They ended up upgrading us to their new camera for $500. This new camera uses an iPad so that fun......but I feel like the quality is not good and we have already had some issues. We literally had to yell and scream to even get them to answer our questions when they had our original camera for repair
    Wait.... you mean to tell me that your 3 month old camera could not be repaired and then they charged you 500 to upgrade!??!! Fuck that! I wouldn't of given them a nickle and still got my supposed "upgrade."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information