Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First camera, thinking of a Ridgid Compact

Thanks

Default First camera, thinking of a Ridgid Compact

I have been doing a lot of research, and I think I am settled on the Ridgid Color Compact.

Upsides.
    Ridgid has a great reputation, & the Compact is a tried and tested system.
    Size: It won't take up a whole lot of space, so I can keep it with me all of the time.
    Resale:If for some reason it doesn't meet my needs in the future, it isn't an unknown brand that would be hard to sell for a decent price.
    Modular: It can be used with other Ridgid monitors and accessories.

Downsides.
    Doesn't come with recording capabilities. Would have to try to come up with something if I felt I needed to be able to record. Though it does have a video out plug, so I have to think that it wouldn't be too difficult or expensive to rig something up.
    Price. It is somewhat more expensive than some of the competition's similar sized cameras.

Anything I am missing, other comparable camera systems I should be looking at?
    Your Lake County FL plumber
    www.springtimeplumbing.com

Thanks

I've used 4 or 5 different brand cameras over the course of my career, and Ridgid is the hands down best. The only downsides I can see with the compact is the recording capability (which is a must for me) and the push rod is a little flimsy. My Ridgid rep really wasn't too high on the compact. He said that the mini reel was a better way to go. Then again, a mini reel with a monitor is a bit more money than the compact. I guess in the end, it all depends on how you're going to use it. I would not consider another brand and if you don't like the unit, the resale value should be good.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYC drain guy For This Useful Post:

AssTyme (03-20-2013), phishfood (03-20-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,680 Posts

Rigid is probably the most durable of the bunch....but I have been using a General Wire Gen Pod....with an external DVD burner....I can say I do like it for the price....
    You can't scare me...I'm a plumber!!!!
    You Can Fire Me...But You Can't Tell Me What To Do.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dcman For This Useful Post:

phishfood (03-20-2013)

Thanks

Most common sizes of pipe you're wanting it for?

Thanks

2" - 4" for the most part, occasional 1 1/2" & 6".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phishfood View Post
    2" - 4" for the most part, occasional 1 1/2" & 6".
    Sounds like the compact would be a good fit for you, although I think that the ability to push it far in 6'' may be limited.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,321 Posts

Exclamation

You are going to regret only having 100' and no ability to take pictures or video.

I would start with the 200' mini Seesnake or the CA-300 & 100' MicroReel (which also accepts the MicrDrain reel) and then eventually get the 200' Seesnake Plus (big boy).
    Last edited by AssTyme; 03-20-2013 at 05:55 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AssTyme For This Useful Post:

Cuda (03-21-2013), phishfood (03-20-2013), UnclogNH (03-21-2013)

Thanks

We just bought our first camera in October of 2012, a spartan provision. It only pushes 100 feet and we are kicking ourselves everyday for not getting 200 feet. Spend the money now to get the 200 feet cause its a lot more expensive later. And I used ridged for years before I worked for myself, and wish I had stuck with them over spartan

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ADBCONSTRUCTION1 For This Useful Post:

phishfood (03-20-2013)

Thanks

The specific reason I am really looking at the Compact is for space constraints. I currently drive a pick up, with a large toolbox crammed full, stuff jammed behind and under the seat, fitting trays and sewer cable under the toolbox, a multi ladder on the rack,various containers of fittings in the bed, along with shovel, probe rod, meter key, broom, & short sections of various piping. Socket/wrench set, cordless nail gun, and air compressor on the passenger floor. So the only lockable, out of the weather location for the camera is the passenger seat, all seatbelted in.

Yes, I know, a van would be better for a service vehicle. But this has to serve as my day job vehicle as well, and 40+ miles one way in a 3/4 or 1 ton battle wagon would get really expensive really fast. And this one is payed for. And this one is in pretty good mechanical shape.

We have a SeeSnake Mini reel at work, and I have used it several times. How does the Compact pushrod compare?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phishfood View Post
    The specific reason I am really looking at the Compact is for space constraints. I currently drive a pick up, with a large toolbox crammed full, stuff jammed behind and under the seat, fitting trays and sewer cable under the toolbox, a multi ladder on the rack,various containers of fittings in the bed, along with shovel, probe rod, meter key, broom, & short sections of various piping. Socket/wrench set, cordless nail gun, and air compressor on the passenger floor. So the only lockable, out of the weather location for the camera is the passenger seat, all seatbelted in.

Yes, I know, a van would be better for a service vehicle. But this has to serve as my day job vehicle as well, and 40+ miles one way in a 3/4 or 1 ton battle wagon would get really expensive really fast. And this one is payed for. And this one is in pretty good mechanical shape.

We have a SeeSnake Mini reel at work, and I have used it several times. How does the Compact pushrod compare?

The way it was explained to me by the Ridgid rep, is that the compact push rod is more like the rod on the micro drain (more flexible) and the see snake mini reel (less flexible) is more like the micro reel. I think I got that right. Damn Ridgid is confusing.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NYC drain guy For This Useful Post:

phishfood (03-21-2013)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information