Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: damn septic tanks

Thanks

Default damn septic tanks

I am based in a suburb just south of kansas city. Most of my calls are in either KC, MO or KC, KS but I am servicing pretty much all the surrounding suburbs. Most are on the city sewer, some are old enough to have once been on septics but disconnected and rerouted to city, some times they are still on septic. usually the home owner/ tenant/ managment company have little to no idea if it is or where it is.
    My querry is this, was it at all common for floor drains to be on an isolated drain line leading straight to the septic tank seperate from the building drain leading to it? I ask because I have found drains that have been rerouted from septic to city that have water backed up to, or above the stack cleanout but the floor drains (which are within 2 - 3 ft of the stacks) are not only dry but are taking any amount of water you send down them. plus, other strange occurances I wont bore you with just yet.

I am originally from chicago and my knowledge of septics is limited, so I see some of this and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to draindit For This Useful Post:

NYC drain guy (01-22-2013)

Thanks

Around here it wasn't that the fd went to the septic on its own, it was the fd never went to the septic in the first place.

There are a few neighborhoods around here that make me cringe when i get a floor drain call because it's a crap shoot as to where it drains and the methods used to drain it.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Colgar For This Useful Post:

draindit (01-22-2013), JCsPlumbing (01-14-2013), Jerry Mac Hodge (03-15-2013), NYC drain guy (01-22-2013)

Thanks

I have found that it is very common in older homes for floor drains in basements or at the bottom of steps to be ran separately out to a ditch, edge of property, the woods, or just to where the fall & slope of ground comes out to daylight.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JCsPlumbing For This Useful Post:

draindit (01-22-2013), Gettinit (03-16-2013), Jerry Mac Hodge (01-17-2013), NYC drain guy (01-22-2013)

Thanks

Default Dam Septic Tanks

In my area they would run the gray water around the tank and only put the black water in it. Also some basement drains would just day light. The bad part of it is 2" under the floor and then they would change to 4" outside the foundation, without a C/O to work on the 4". If you couldn't find the 4" and go back up on it there was no way to clean it right. I also HATE working on septic tanks, but it does bring in income.
    Two years ago I had a tank cave-in on me and all the concrete came in on top of me. Went 6' under. If it had knocked me out I would have drowned and I could just see the Obit's!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wilson's Roto-Rooter
    Hannibal, Mo

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roto-Rooter For This Useful Post:

Colgar (01-22-2013), Jerry Mac Hodge (03-15-2013), NYC drain guy (01-22-2013), phishfood (01-17-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roto-Rooter View Post
    In my area they would run the gray water around the tank and only put the black water in it. Also some basement drains would just day light. The bad part of it is 2" under the floor and then they would change to 4" outside the foundation, without a C/O to work on the 4". If you couldn't find the 4" and go back up on it there was no way to clean it right. I also HATE working on septic tanks, but it does bring in income.
    Two years ago I had a tank cave-in on me and all the concrete came in on top of me. Went 6' under. If it had knocked me out I would have drowned and I could just see the Obit's!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dude that sucks. I think of things like that every time I open one up or am hovering over the opening trying to found the outlets or inlets.

Just recently I had one I thought was on a septic but wasnt sure. The sewer was directed out the back of the house but there was a city sewer running through the street out front. After cabling for a while with no success I tryed a blow bag. Initially, no water had been backing up at the floor drain,but had been at the stack cleanout about a foot off the floor, and out the laundry stand pipe before that. Pushed the bag in ten ft and let her rip. After about 3 minutes a bunch of noise was heard at the FD sounded like a water fall echoing through the pipe but no back up. Removed bag and tested with garden hose at stack cleanout and water eventually started backing out of FD for the first time. I pushed the blow bag 20 ft into that line and water still backing out the FD which was less than 3 ft from the stack all this was being done at. Weird.
    I ended up having it located by someone else and it did drain to the city sewer by wrapping all the way around the house from back to front. About 200 ft which I cabled and cleared.

I am fed up with playing the guessing games so I bought a locator and the camera to use it with.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to draindit For This Useful Post:

Jerry Mac Hodge (03-15-2013), NYC drain guy (01-22-2013), Roto-Rooter (01-26-2013)

Thanks

Thank god that we don't have many septics in the area I service. I might see one once a year or so.

Thanks

Yeah i am not a fan. Usually they have been disconnected and routed to the city but that makes for long runs and usually pipes with no pitch or bellies. Good times.

Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by draindit View Post
    Dude that sucks. I think of things like that every time I open one up or am hovering over the opening trying to found the outlets or inlets.

Just recently I had one I thought was on a septic but wasn't sure. The sewer was directed out the back of the house but there was a city sewer running through the street out front. After cabling for a while with no success I tried a blow bag. Initially, no water had been backing up at the floor drain,but had been at the stack cleanout about a foot off the floor, and out the laundry stand pipe before that. Pushed the bag in ten ft and let her rip. After about 3 minutes a bunch of noise was heard at the FD sounded like a water fall echoing through the pipe but no back up. Removed bag and tested with garden hose at stack cleanout and water eventually started backing out of FD for the first time. I pushed the blow bag 20 ft into that line and water still backing out the FD which was less than 3 ft from the stack all this was being done at. Weird.
    I ended up having it located by someone else and it did drain to the city sewer by wrapping all the way around the house from back to front. About 200 ft which I cabled and cleared.

I am fed up with playing the guessing games so I bought a locator and the camera to use it with.
    YEAH that happened at my little brothers house he brought one in a tract
    that was all built with the septic tanks in the back yards,
    But when the city ran sewers down the middle of the streets ever body had to hook up to them!
    When he called me out to snake his main sewer we found out that the plumbers who ran the new pipes had used straight clay tees with the back side blanked off,
    So we could run a certain distance and when the pipe made a turn we had to dig up at that point and then run the cable out the last run was something like 170' to the city main

Thanks

Personally, I kind of like them!
    Clinkscales Portable Toilets
    & Septic Service

http://www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com
    NAWT Certified Septic Inspector and Member
    O2WA Board Member

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trent2 For This Useful Post:

Jerry Mac Hodge (03-21-2013), Redwood (03-16-2013), SewerRat (03-16-2013)

Thanks

Me too.

Trent, I notice your signature and it reminds me that I was officially elected into a board member position on our Onsite Wastewater Association of Idaho yesterday. Not sure that means anything, but we'll see.
    Kendall
    www.westseptic.com

"Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and their politicians as a joke." Will Rogers

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SewerRat For This Useful Post:

Redwood (03-16-2013), Trent2 (03-18-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information