Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've got a wild hair and I'm not sure I should go with it or not

Thanks

Default I've got a wild hair and I'm not sure I should go with it or not

Hey guys, you know I'm new to this forum and never been to this septic discussion but I figured you'd be the ones to ask. In my area there are only 2 septic pumping companys, one guy won't call ya back and another shady as the day is long. So there is a huge demand for septic pumper guys. In the immediate state area we have around a half dozen companys all together but prices seem to be pretty high.
    So today I"m thinking to myself, as I'm at a customers house who has a completely full desperately needing pumped system and no one will answer the phone, ya know, I should get into this. Not myself personally but add this to my plumbing/drain cleaning business.
    I'll be honest I don't know chit about pumping and I'd probably just buy a truck, I've got a deal in mind thats affordable, and hopefully find someone who would work basically on commission at first that has some knowledge and just give them a phone to do the calls.
    Maybe I"m stepping into something way too deep for me and I'm still really really on the fence about this. I just see a occupational related to my field, with a decent cash flow and there are not no where near enough workers to keep up. In my defense I do have several backhoe friends that install septics but don't service them so that may work to my advantage. I"m going to discuss this idea with them in the next week or two.
    What I really don't know is, do I need a driver with a CDL, what is the charge and procedure for dumping, any additional schooling or classes required to be a pumper.

Well guys any info is appreciated even if this is a silly thought. I can give ya specifics on the truck and pump I was lookin at if you want to private message on any details as well. Like I said take it easy on me it may be a thought that will only stay a thought.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chris For This Useful Post:

gene bickford (10-23-2012), Trent2 (10-24-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,680 Posts

This is a great one for Trent.....

or Seth.....
    You can't scare me...I'm a plumber!!!!
    You Can Fire Me...But You Can't Tell Me What To Do.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum...

Thanks

Default I am doing a feasability study on this too..

So far I have found in Wi. that I will need a Liquid Waste Haulers License...To get that here I have to be working in the waste hauling business for around 1700 hrs documented with pay stubs...I have already gotten the Class B CDL with air brakes and tanker endorsement.. Cdl is required for a vehicle over 26,000 lbs GVW (Ballpark)....On going classes with the Wi DNR....The haulers here dump from April thru Nov. 15th Ball Park at local waste water treatment plants...I dont know all those details..I am joining the Wi. Waste Haulers Assn......Then you need to decide if you want a single axle truck (Usually 2200 Gal Tank) or a duel axle tank (Usualy in the 3600 gal Tank area)....Im going with say a 2200 gal tank and a Cat c7 powered truck with a 6 speed probably...Then I'll offer risers and such to make access easier as the DNR here in my county require now that the tanks be pumped every two yrs. I believe...This is as much as I know right now and I admit that its all new to me and that I am learning about this too... But I plan to offer septic Tank Pumping starting in 2014...I hope....I am still looking at the profit part of it and I would also add say 20 port. toilets to start with too.....Tom
    Last edited by Magic Touch III LLC; 10-23-2012 at 09:49 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Magic Touch III LLC For This Useful Post:

Trent2 (10-24-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 559 Posts

Its a good gig, especially if there's a demand for it. And it dovetails WONDERFULLY with the drain cleaning side of things. There are times when the vac truck is great to have for jetting a leech field and vacing the sludge from the d box, etc...

However, just make sure you do your homework first. Some guys may seem expensive at first, BUT, check into what disposal costs are going to be. They fluxuate greatly from region to region. Around here septage is around $50 per thousand gallons to dispose of. But i've heard it as high as $100+ per thousand. There are times the disposal costs are actually greater than the pumping and hauling costs (And that's OUR disposal costs). Your area may allow a certain amount of land application (something to check out)

However, if you have access to a deal on a truck, you may be in business. I wouldn't go any smaller than 2000 gallon, and go bigger if you can afford it. The money is made when you're able to put multiple stops on 1 load.

But this opens the whole world of grease trap pumping, heck even oil seperators if you get a big enough vac. Both those are feet in the door for the drain cleaning thing too.

The biggest drawback to the pumping and hauling side of things is disposal. Some areas are very lax, others are very strict, it depends on where you're at.

But, as far septic pumping, you can do a lot more work w/ a vac truck than just septics. Especially if you have commercial and municipal contacts. If you have a deal on a truck, i'd say try it. The worst that can happen is you fail and sell the truck. And we've all blown money on bad investments at some piont.
    Clear Drain Cleaning, LLC
    Dover, OH
    330-473-5263
    cleardraincleaning.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckeyeBowhunter For This Useful Post:

Trent2 (10-24-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Touch III LLC View Post
    So far I have found in Wi. that I will need a Liquid Waste Haulers License...To get that here I have to be working in the waste hauling business for around 1700 hrs documented with pay stubs...I have already gotten the Class B CDL with air brakes and tanker endorsement.. Cdl is required for a vehicle over 26,000 lbs GVW (Ballpark)....On going classes with the Wi DNR....The haulers here dump from April thru Nov. 15th Ball Park at local waste water treatment plants...I dont know all those details..I am joining the Wi. Waste Haulers Assn......Then you need to decide if you want a single axle truck (Usually 2200 Gal Tank) or a duel axle tank (Usualy in the 3600 gal Tank area)....Im going with say a 2200 gal tank and a Cat c7 powered truck with a 6 speed probably...Then I'll offer risers and such to make access easier as the DNR here in my county require now that the tanks be pumped every two yrs. I believe...This is as much as I know right now and I admit that its all new to me and that I am learning about this too... But I plan to offer septic Tank Pumping starting in 2014...I hope....I am still looking at the profit part of it and I would also add say 20 port. toilets to start with too.....Tom
    i think its every 3 years but could be wrong.?
    I did have my septage licenses years ago, I should look it to getting it back
    IF YOU CANíT FLUSH I WILL RUSH
    www.appletondrainandsewer.com
    1-920-284-7471
    Appleton WI

Thanks

Disposal is the biggest issue. We pay minimum of ten cents per gallon to get rid of it. That dump site is a 2 to 2.5 hour round trip to dump at. We do have a site closer but it is over 14 cents per gallon to dump. Another thing to look at if you are considering grease trap pumping is grease disposal. Around here not every plant will take grease. In fact grease is very difficult to get rid of and it costs more too. If you can get your disposal figured out then the rest should be pretty cut and dried.

You're excavtor friends can be a good source of knowledge and income in this endevor. Definatly lean on them for advice. Join the associations as well. Get all the knowledge you can about systems so you can service them properly and educate your customers. If pumping is madated in your area, half the battle is won. We have trouble getting people to understand that they need to maintain thier systems.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me or ask away here. I'll do my best answer.
    Clinkscales Portable Toilets
    & Septic Service

http://www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com
    NAWT Certified Septic Inspector and Member
    O2WA Board Member

Thanks

I was under the impression you can not use a pump truck for sewage or grease if you use it for hauling petroleum and other hazardous waste.
    AllurePlumbing.com

• leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Thanks
    Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,321 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gettinit View Post
    I was under the impression you can not use a pump truck for sewage or grease if you use it for hauling petroleum and other hazardous waste.

What about hauling milk, is this OK ???

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AssTyme For This Useful Post:

phishfood (10-25-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AssTyme View Post
    What about hauling milk, is this OK ???

As long as it's used milk, it's perfectly fine!

As for petroleum and haz mat, I've never checked into it. I would think it a no no though. Petrolem in particular. Process wastes of various sorts are often pumped with basic vac trucks and according to the treatment plants we use, so long as I clean the insided of the tank, it is perfectly ok to haul those things in my truck then go back to septage.
    Clinkscales Portable Toilets
    & Septic Service

http://www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com
    NAWT Certified Septic Inspector and Member
    O2WA Board Member

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 543 Posts

Many moons ago when I was pumping here in Wisconsin. The boss had us use the pumper for everything from sewage to grease interceptors and fuel oil spills and gas spills. But after gas or fuel spills we had to was the tank down.

but you CAN NOT go from sewage or anything else to a food product ever
    IF YOU CANíT FLUSH I WILL RUSH
    www.appletondrainandsewer.com
    1-920-284-7471
    Appleton WI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information