Thread: Using a mole for trenchless drain inside a building

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 529 Posts

Default Using a mole for trenchless drain inside a building

Here is a link to a terrible job
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Seattl...82173475152440

Bar I have worked at for years, always has had drain problems and smells. Around 100 year old building, tons of scab plumbing, electrical, you name it. Kind of my white wale, always hard to do anything there. Owners could not take the smell complaints from people anymore and I said I had to bust the whole floor out to fix it and they said just do it. It turned out it wasn't the sewer line for the mens that was the problem but a sewer line from the womans was rotted out (cast iron) that went to the mens then to the lateral. OK easy enough then they wanted the toilet moved over Ok no problem, then new fixtures and on and on. But the worst thing was I found a 2" line that serviced the whole bar, sinks,dishwasher, floor drains etc. It was rusted and popped out no bottom in the pipe at all from start to finish! It ran under a walk in cooler so no problem we will burst or mole a new line in, but when we opened up the target spot there was a gas line, several water lines, several freezer lines and 2 damm electrical conduits! Bursting was out, trenching another path was possible but would be slow and they need to be open to make money to pay us! So I moled a new line out to the target pit and came in right on target with great grade! Bar is still open and will reconfigure the line after I finish putting the mens room back in operation. Picture are not that great because I have been so stressed to keep the bar open and stay on time for the job.
    Seattle Drain Service
    Bryce Kennedy
    Sewer and Drain Contractor
    Http://www.seattledrainservice.com

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cuda For This Useful Post:

gear junkie (10-12-2012), phishfood (10-11-2012), Redwood (10-11-2012), rocksteady (10-11-2012)

Thanks

Dude, that is just awesome!!

Putting in lines where none existed before, working with very tight time restraints, going into the great unknown, finding major problems and working around them, that is definitely some intense stuff.

If I ever start to think about getting into trenchless, do you want to be my guru?
    Your Lake County FL plumber
    www.springtimeplumbing.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 529 Posts

It just gets worse and worse, found adjoing vent lines to the stack where rusted out letting sewer gas out in the walls, found rusted through branch lines to the sinks, found a broken santi 4" that had been oozing out the bad stuff under the floor in the adjoining bathroom (am tunneling to fix it can't tear into the womans bathroom right now but never ever want to have to reopen the mens side. Posting some more pics. Since it's Friday I did not tackle the line to the womans can not loose that bathroom for the weekend and I rules on fridays about opening up a can of worms because it will go bad most of the time. And started another mole job at a building down the street for the water main that is a little scary but not too bad. Really like to lay in a few simple jobs to break up the stress but I take what comes my way.
    Seattle Drain Service
    Bryce Kennedy
    Sewer and Drain Contractor
    Http://www.seattledrainservice.com

Thread Information