Thread: Hydrostatic pressure and ground water

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 529 Posts

Default Hydrostatic pressure and ground water

Here is a link to some beginning pictures of a job we are on.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Seattl...82173475152440

This is a drainage problem to the 100th power! Story goes like this, get called because water is gushing out of a driveway at a home in a very nice neighborhood. I go and it looks like a water main is broke under the concrete it's coming up the expansion joints on a nice 3 car driveway. Check the meter nope not running, check the neighbors above nope nothing there either, owner has had a lot of work done, surface drains, french drains, retaining wall drains installed, all to combat water surface problems around the house. The house was actually sinking on one side and he had pin piles driven in to stabilize the house. Structaul engineer, soils engineer, I mean he has put some money toward this problem now after all this the driveway starts to gush water and it is cracking bad and it's summertime! Wait till the Seattle rains come I can not imagine it then. The biggest problem on these jobs is plumbing does not enter the picture in terms of the drains outside the home. The General contractors can do what they want almost, it was not until the 70's that footing drains became a national building code and the code is very very vague. The reason is most builders use flex corrugated pipe and tee's. No cleanouts to the system you can't make it through too many Tee's with a sewer camera till you dead end. Can't snake them very well either the snake just tears the stuff to shreds, Jet you say.., well a straight run or so yes but you might loose that jet hose and tip. Anyway they don't even use fittings sometimes just bend the pipe around to make it go where they need it. And bellies are everywhere! They think as long as the end of the line has outfall it will flow when the water reaches it's own level which is true but it leaves all the debris and mud in the lines. Now if you tie in all the homes gutter rainleaders into the system you have trouble just waiting to happen. When I go to these jobs I bring every size camera I own, I bring my longest string roll to manipulate the seesnakes head, I bring lots of different size snakes to make it through the lines if I can, and my seektech locator. I spend hours going in every drain I can and mapping it out, but it is hard to see other connections when the line is holding mud or water. I pour dye down lines I can't get through. I figure out the easiest place to dig to find the footing lines and once I know where the lines are All I care about is where it all goes to. The reason they build them like this is because nobody is ever (except me lol) going to see whats in the ground so they go cheap and spend the money on fancy front doors and tile for eye appeal.

This house had mud in many spots very bad that I had to jet just to gain the layout, many spots where crushed on install to make it even worse. Then they tied the footing drains and downspout leaders all together and reversed the grade to the outfall pipe. It filled with mud but wait they thought that might happen and instead of solid pipe they put a few feet of perf pipe near the driveway and the whole system was like a big reservoir bleeding it out under the driveway. And here is the real kicker there is a natural spring on the other side of the driveway so they ran a piece of pipe over to where it pushes to the surface (under the driveway) placed a few rocks around the open pipe and sold the home (10 years ago nothing you can do) In the coming up pictures over the next few days we excavate the needed spots (thanks seesnakes!) replace the damaged corrugated with solid wall PVC, pipe burst in a few new lines and mole some lines where there have never been any before. I love these jobs it's me vs. the water.
    Last edited by Cuda; 09-27-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    Seattle Drain Service
    Bryce Kennedy
    Sewer and Drain Contractor
    Http://www.seattledrainservice.com

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuda For This Useful Post:

dcman (10-01-2012), phishfood (09-28-2012)

Thanks

Is there a good pressure to run in corrugated pipe? Flow rate? I just got a call for one a little while back and they didn't like my rates. I think I dodged a bullet after reading about losing the jetter nozzle.
    AllurePlumbing.com

• leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gettinit View Post
    Is there a good pressure to run in corrugated pipe? Flow rate? I just got a call for one a little while back and they didn't like my rates. I think I dodged a bullet after reading about losing the jetter nozzle.
    500lbs to 1000lbs, flow is best in the black elephant pipe, it is just plain junk installed by landscapers and GC's. I should just stand at home depot in that section and laugh and hand out my cards
    Seattle Drain Service
    Bryce Kennedy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuda For This Useful Post:

Gettinit (09-28-2012)

Thanks

Being more serious I bought a nozzle by ENG that is called a radial nozzle the stream is mostly side ways and it cleans the grooves very well. But if the stuff is old it can just desinagrate.
    Seattle Drain Service
    Bryce Kennedy

Thanks

Where do the footing drains go to? storm sewer?

I enjoy these posts of yours. Always an interesting read.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Colgar For This Useful Post:

Cuda (09-28-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colgar View Post
    Where do the footing drains go to? storm sewer?

I enjoy these posts of yours. Always an interesting read.
    Hits a catch basin in the street that is tied to SS system. The storm system in the street is roaring the sound is so mighty it sounds like you are next to a river. These are some homes built into the side of a steep hill and there is a large lake at the bottom. This water is from the mountain snow melts and there is a lot of it. You can make something work but this is one that maybe should not have been built where it is but it's there and probably a 1.2 - 1.8 million dollar house.
    Seattle Drain Service
    Bryce Kennedy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuda For This Useful Post:

Colgar (09-28-2012)

Thanks

Added more pics to the album, used a mole to open a 2.5" hole where no pipe had ever been then used the pipe burster to pull in 4" hdpe so I could create a good solid (with grade) pipe to take away 3 flex lines that where downspouts, and footing drains. The pipe that was there was badly squished and almost went uphill so mud collected and made the system not work and the line looked like a figure 8 it went from outside back into the garage parking area (in the house) then came back out again to the drive. Just plain made my own new line that I could count on. Wish I could have used shielded ferncos but with 11 connections to pick up the owner wanted regular ferncos but they will be ok it's just to flex pipe anyway.
    Seattle Drain Service
    Bryce Kennedy

Thread Information