Thread: Even an easy looking pipe burst can go wrong way wrong

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 529 Posts

Default Even an easy looking pipe burst can go wrong way wrong

The job where my camera got stuck and I made a deal to do a quick cheap pipe burst went way south on me. 1/2 way through the pull my pressure guage spiked up tp 9.5 k pressure. It is rated at 10k psi which is high as far as it goes. We never see anything over 4k even on 6 inch line and 5 k was out record before today. Well no way around it we excavate through the cement walkway and find 5 feet of years of concrete debris even the jack hammer was slowing down going through the dirt. But we keep going because I need to know what could stop me so bad so fast. Well 6 feet down we found a huge Granite Boulder! And it's over our pipes path. (seesnake really helped locate the spot to dig don't know what I would do without one) We pounded on the granite with our 90lb hammer and it just pinged off the big rock! We busted out a rock drill to weaken it then jackhammered it again. It broke in very little pieces but just enough to get our pipe burst back on again! Got the job done but man I have more gray hair now than when I woke up this morning lol
    Last edited by Cuda; 06-20-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    Seattle Drain Service
    Bryce Kennedy
    Sewer and Drain Contractor
    Http://www.seattledrainservice.com

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cuda For This Useful Post:

dcman (06-21-2012), DRAINSMITH (06-21-2012), gear junkie (06-21-2012), phishfood (06-21-2012), Redwood (06-22-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
    The job where my camera got stuck and I made a deal to do a quick cheap pipe burst went way south on me. 1/2 way through the pull my pressure guage spiked up tp 9.5 k pressure. It is rated at 10k psi which is high as far as it goes. We never see anything over 4k even on 6 inch line and 5 k was out record before today. Well no way around it we excavate through the cement walkway and find 5 feet of years of concrete debris even the jack hammer was slowing down going through the dirt. But we keep going because I need to know what could stop me so bad so fast. Well 6 feet down we found a huge Granite Boulder! And it's over our pipes path. (seesnake really helped locate the spot to dig don't know what I would do without one) We pounded on the granite with our 90lb hammer and it just pinged off the big rock! We busted out a rock drill to weaken it then jackhammered it again. It broke in very little pieces but just enough to get our pipe burst back on again! Got the job done but man I have more gray hair now than when I woke up this morning lol

Rock clause, hope you had one.
    AllurePlumbing.com

• leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Thanks
    Thanked 4,019 Times in 2,351 Posts

Running into big potatoes like that can ruin your day...
    "99% of Being Smart...
    Is Knowing What You're Dumb At"

411 Plumb | Click Here For A Free Internet Plumbing Directory Listing | Plumb 411

Thanks

In south Idaho we plan on rock and feel all warm and fuzzy when we dig in plain ole' dirt, LOL!
    Kendall
    www.westseptic.com

"Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and their politicians as a joke." Will Rogers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,347 Times in 626 Posts

If we want to see a rock we have to import it. And boy are those suckers expensive. When my dad moved down to Arkansas he loaded up his trailer with big old river rocks and brought them back up here and traded them for good old top soil so he could have a good garden down south. It was a good deal for both him and the landscape company.
    www.drainsmith.com
    712 256-2566
    vote or don't whine and buy more ammo

Thanks
    Thanked 4,019 Times in 2,351 Posts

In Connecticut we have an ample supply of petrified potatoes...

In fact many of our roads and properties are lined with stone walls constructed mainly by over 300 years of farmers carrying stones from their plowed fields to the edge of the field or the property line and piling them onto the wall.
    Some of the walls are nicely stacked and others are more like broken down rubble..

When I was a kid I worked for a farmer and one of the many tasks I had was driving a bucket loader around a newly plowed field picking stones, then piling them on the wall. One would think that after 300 years of farming the supply would be scarce but there was still plenty to pick....

The added feature was finding arrowheads that had become unearthed by the plow.
    Somewhere I have quite a collection of them. The arrowheads stood out nicely after a field had been plowed then there was a heavy rain to wash the dirt off them...

We do write a clause into any excavation or pipe bursting work...
    "99% of Being Smart...
    Is Knowing What You're Dumb At"

411 Plumb | Click Here For A Free Internet Plumbing Directory Listing | Plumb 411

Thread Information