Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: my worst soft stoppage

Thanks
    Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,321 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Gettinit
    At least you got it going. Its funny because I was just in your same situation last week and it sounds like thinking just what your thinking, I gotta get a jetter. Even if its just a electric cart jetter, something that can do 3 or 4 inch decently for roots or soft stoppages.

The one I did was where the clay had actually settled right where it connected to the main. So from that point back to the house it was just acting like a big sediment trap collecting solids and letting the water go on by. It was plugged with soft sludge for about 10 to 15 feet. It was from about 60 ft out to 85 at the main. I could cable through it back and fourth but no luck. After every blade I could think to try and 4 hours later I had to walk away. I know the line had settled and told the customer that. My competition came in next day and jetted it and told her all was good. Well we know all they did was push everything into main and the problems just going to happen again. Its frustrating enough not having the right tools for the job sometimes but even worse when you have to walk away and feel about 2 ft tall. Its all a matter of money I guess.

I look at it like this. If your good at what you do you can make due to get the job done. All the expensive fancy machines and stuff are nice but not a necessity. You'll just end up being that much better of a drain cleaner by having to do it the old fashoned way.

How did you verify this ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 559 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AssTyme View Post
    What is this "sludge blade" you speak of ?
    essentially a C cutter with a piece welded onto the top and bottom of the C to make "paddles" to get the stuff stirred up better.

Between that and the rag trick, you can usually get it flowing, but i prefer the jetter if at all possible
    Clear Drain Cleaning, LLC
    Dover, OH
    330-473-5263
    cleardraincleaning.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckeyeBowhunter For This Useful Post:

AssTyme (02-11-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBowhunter View Post
    essentially a C cutter with a piece welded onto the top and bottom of the C to make "paddles" to get the stuff stirred up better.

Between that and the rag trick, you can usually get it flowing, but i prefer the jetter if at all possible
    Like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colgar For This Useful Post:

BuckeyeBowhunter (02-12-2013), dcman (02-12-2013), Redwood (02-13-2013)

Thanks

I wasn't able to do a 100% verification seeing as line still full and customer didn't want to pay me to camera since I wasn't able to cable the drain. I knew where the main was and pretty close on footage within 5 feet or so and that is where the cable would hang up somethin terrible. I was able to jump through it with a bare cable but any width of blade didn't want to go. Without any inspection I would have to agree that this would be hard to guarantee. Just call it a gut feeling I guess.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to chris For This Useful Post:

AssTyme (02-12-2013)

Thanks

Dumb question? Did you try a boring tool?
    Affordable Drain Cleaning
    South Bend, a

Perfecting the art of drain cleaning

Thanks

Not real sure what you mean by boring tool but I do own just about every bit ridgid makes as well as several general bits as well. But no luck.

Gettinit
    What are you thoughts on a jetter? Do you think a cart jetter would get you a foot hold and then with time a larger unit or are you plannin on going full bore right to something of some size?

Just curious because I've had this debate with myself. Just don't want to waste money ya know

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I wasn't able to do a 100% verification seeing as line still full and customer didn't want to pay me to camera since I wasn't able to cable the drain. I knew where the main was and pretty close on footage within 5 feet or so and that is where the cable would hang up somethin terrible. I was able to jump through it with a bare cable but any width of blade didn't want to go. Without any inspection I would have to agree that this would be hard to guarantee. Just call it a gut feeling I guess.
    Not worth it to camera it. You'll just see a black screen....now if you sending the camera in to do a locate....that's a different story. Sounds like you have a major roots stoppage to me.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Thanks

My first soft grease clog today. They had some schmuck over who used some potent chemical and a plunger on their kitchen sink. Ate the finish off of the basket strainers, made a couple of leaks in the tubular piping. They said it was draining oh so slowly, so I had them run a bit of water several times to get rid of the acid, and sucked the last of it out with a wet vac.

Bored through with the 4 blade 1" Ridgid cutter, but no drainage. Stepped up size with a C cutter, still no drainage. Ended up with a rag wound into a bulb head, and after 3 passes good flow. Finished with C cutter and hot water, and out of curiosity, checked with my camera. The line looked brand new, other than the scrape marks from the C cutter.

I wouldn't have known what to do if it weren't for this forum. I knew almost from the first pass what the problem was, and what steps to take to resolve it. I, and my customer, owe you guys a big Thank You.
    Your Lake County FL plumber
    www.springtimeplumbing.com

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phishfood For This Useful Post:

Colgar (11-02-2014), Redwood (11-08-2014)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information