Thread: Near miss with my jetter hose..

Thanks

Default Near miss with my jetter hose..

In another post I explained how I took my 150' of 5000 PSI 3/8" jetter Hose in to be cut down to three 50' lengths...Well they called me and told me they put new male ends on the cable and cut it down to the 50' sections that I had asked for and that it was ready for pickup...i got to my first job with this hose, set up and turn the jetter on...I try to stay out of the line of fire so to speak as much as possible when jetting as to cut down on possible injuries and good thing I did because when the hose got up to about 4200 PSI its blew at the new end coupling they had installed and either the hose or a stream of water hit the lower part of my leg causing a very large bruise and a bump in my skin about as big around as a quarter and 1/2" high..Right now, 4 days later it is still black and blue...I took the hose to a company that specializes in power washers and repair and you would think that they would get it right but they didnt...When I got home I set up another section of the hose they worked on in a test situation and it also blew out at just under 4000 PSI... I took the hose back to show them and they told me that the inside on my hose was made of hard plastic and this plastic was much harder to hold the end coupler than the usual ones they see....I suspected they didnt use the right coupler or perhaps used one not rated for the higher PSI's I run. They knew my jetter was a 5000 PSI machine because they had just repaired the unloader for me... Anyway working with high PSI is very dangerous and I for one can tell you that I am a very lucky guy not to have been hurt much worse than I was. Tom

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Magic Touch III LLC For This Useful Post:

affordabledrains (05-13-2012), Cuda (05-13-2012), DRAINSMITH (05-13-2012), phishfood (05-13-2012), rocksteady (05-13-2012), Song Dog (05-14-2012)

Thanks

It's just not worth the risk. Find a small shop that doesn't claim to know everything, then call the jet hose manufacturer and order the couplings straight from them or at least get a part number of the couplings they use, then have them give you the crimp specs they use for their hose since even jetter hoses vary across the manufacturers. Then take it all to your down to earth guy who will listen to what you have to say and he will be able to do it right.
    Kendall
    www.westseptic.com

"Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and their politicians as a joke." Will Rogers

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SewerRat For This Useful Post:

Magic Touch III LLC (05-13-2012), rocksteady (05-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 529 Posts

Every brand of jetter hose has it's own crimp die and coupler just for their brand. You are supposed to just use the oem couplers and ends. That said I have prirana hose and nobody around me has the special dies or fittings. So they just used what brands they carry like gates, parker, etc. I have never had a bad one yet but I know it will happen.
    Seattle Drain Service
    Bryce Kennedy
    Sewer and Drain Contractor
    Http://www.seattledrainservice.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuda For This Useful Post:

Magic Touch III LLC (05-13-2012)

Thanks

We have a friend who owns a machine/fab shop and does a lot of hydraulic hoses. We did the research and got part numbers for the fittings and crimp specs, then gave them to him. He was able to order the correct fittings through his supplier and he already had the dies to do the job correctly. I really don't think the hose companies are making their own ends but are using an available fitting although it might be uncommon. I am suspicious that they sell the special dies just to be sure that the ends are being crimped correctly even though there is nothing jetter specific about them and the hydraulic hose shops might have ready access to them through normal channels if they would just take the time to do the research. Just a hunch.
    Kendall
    www.westseptic.com

"Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and their politicians as a joke." Will Rogers

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SewerRat For This Useful Post:

Magic Touch III LLC (05-14-2012)

Thanks

Jetter hose is colored inside specific to the manufacurer that made it.
    Seattle Drain Service
    Bryce Kennedy

Thanks

here is some good pics and info if you look at the repair instructions it explains the inner hose color deal
    http://pipehunter.com/support/repairing-jetter-hose
    Seattle Drain Service
    Bryce Kennedy

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuda For This Useful Post:

Magic Touch III LLC (05-14-2012), SewerRat (05-14-2012), Trent2 (07-18-2012)

Thread Information