Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roof Vent Cleanouts

Thanks

I undestand that is the best way to handle the problem However in these hard times some of my customers just need a little help and cant afford to get a cleanout installed. I think the 2" pipe idea I found in the link that Housetrap sent was a great idea. Thanks for the link "Housetrap".

If I had a sectional machine that would also be nice. But with the pipe I can still use my drum machine and keep the cost fair for the customers. Thanks again guys

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Handyman For This Useful Post:

UnclogNH (04-06-2010)

Thanks

you can catch Plumber Rick on the roof in this thread:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27167

and you can then see a whole butt load of threads with roof pictures etc here:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/tags.php?tag=roof

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Thanked 3,931 Times in 2,302 Posts

I'd be really careful with the communication with someone on the ground running the machine.

To me it sounds like a really touchy operation and I can only think of a few of the guys that I work with who I'd trust in that situation..

Hand signals probably won't cut it with the guy on the roof using 2 hands to control a torqued up cable...
    "99% of Being Smart...
    Is Knowing What You're Dumb At"

411 Plumb | Click Here For A Free Internet Plumbing Directory Listing | Plumb 411

Thanks
    Thanked 5,034 Times in 3,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    I undestand that is the best way to handle the problem However in these hard times some of my customers just need a little help and cant afford to get a cleanout installed. I think the 2" pipe idea I found in the link that Housetrap sent was a great idea. Thanks for the link "Housetrap".

If I had a sectional machine that would also be nice. But with the pipe I can still use my drum machine and keep the cost fair for the customers. Thanks again guys
    What would you consider a fair price to clear a main sewer from a roof vent?
    We don't do roof vents here to steep and dangerous.
    Just wondering what the rate is VS doing it in a basement or pulling a toilet?
    I understand customers having a hard time but why risk injury to save someone a couple of bucks?
    Last edited by UnclogNH; 04-06-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    "We Keep New Hampshire Flowing"
    http://unclognh.com
    603-752-2145 Berlin NH, Area 603-356-6555 North Conway NH, area

Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to UnclogNH For This Useful Post:

affordabledrains (04-07-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,159 Posts

I have cleared quite a few lines from roof vents. Mostly kitchen sinks but I've done mains too. I would never consider letting somebody else opperate the machine while I fed the cable, that's just asking for trouble. I use a Spartan 300 machine and it breaks down enough to get it on the roof and then I can put it all back together and get to working pretty quickly. California roofs have a much better chance of being flatter than you snow folks' roofs so the danger level drops a bit. Of course, putting in a cleanout is preffered but like you said, some folks just can't handle $$$$ for a cleanout so getting it open is what you have to do. If I go up on a roof, I try and get a little extra as a "roof charge". Probably around $30-$50, it varries with the job and customer. If I charged $50 to get on the roof, it'd probably be about the same as pulling a toilet so it's not really bumping the bill up. Either way it's not an "in and out" easy access job so it's not going to be my base price for clearing a mainline. This would be a great time to sell a discounted video inspection/location, "...since I'm already up here" and push them towards a cleanout as we all know that's what they really need in the future. Especially when you get up on the roof and see that all the gravel around the vent is missing from the last 173462 guys clearing the line.

Paul

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
    Rocksteady Plumbing
    805-237-7625

"I wash my cables with sooper special zircon soap and lube them with zebra fat after every job." -Ace Sewer

Thanks

Well Im not sure where the 2 man thing came from. I am going to check into getting one of those k-60 machines. I also have a machine that breaks down but with the auto feed in the way it is too much hassle and still a bit heavy to lugg up onto a roof. Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it. Gary

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,159 Posts

When I used a machine with an auto feed all I had to do was either pop the pin on the leader or remove the cutters and the auto feed came right off. It adds about 90 seconds to breaking it down. I can see the use for a sectional but I wouldn't buy one just to use on roof vents. I do service plumbing and drain cleaning so my van is full enough with one large machine, 3 drums and my Super Vee. I couldn't fit another machine if I wanted one.

Paul

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
    Rocksteady Plumbing
    805-237-7625

"I wash my cables with sooper special zircon soap and lube them with zebra fat after every job." -Ace Sewer

Thanks

A lot of technique choice is situational; depends on where you live and what the buildings are like. A lot is personal preference as well. For me, with the builings I works on, the clogs I see, and the weather here vents are just a waste of time 99 times out of 100.

Thanks

Default Cost

Most of the guys out here are charging around $125.00 to clean a drain through a vent. I think it is much easier than pulling the toilet, which in an old house can just bring more problems and a lot more work than just climbing on a roof and snaking it out. My machine also breaks down with a few bolts but is still very heavy. Any recommendations on minimum size cable that should be used for roots. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Most of the guys out here are charging around $125.00 to clean a drain through a vent. I think it is much easier than pulling the toilet, which in an old house can just bring more problems and a lot more work than just climbing on a roof and snaking it out. My machine also breaks down with a few bolts but is still very heavy. Any recommendations on minimum size cable that should be used for roots. Thanks

where are you located. that will basicaly determine the price.
    Affordable Drain Cleaning
    South Bend, IN

574-303-8458

www.affdrains.net/
    www.affordabledraincleaningIN.Services.officelive. com

Perfecting the art of drain cleaning

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information