Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nasty!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 957 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Colgar View Post
    I wouldn't have charged any extra, but I wouldn't have done it, either.

Went on one last friday-

Said a spoon was dropped in the toilet and couldn't get it out. What she didn't say was they had been using it for a week after the stool wouldn't flush.

I walked in, looked at it and told her to clean it out and call me back. I was polite, but firm. She didn't like it and never called back.

Just because you want to live in squaller doesn't mean I gotta work in it.

And then folks wonder why I charge what I do.
    I just tell them that I don't see THEM messin with their own crap.
    Anymore, I always walk into a place to see where my machines & I have to go.
    If there is crud in the way, I tell them to move it, or I'm leaving and will charge them an hour to have a look-see.
    A few months ago, I had a call from a guy whose basement had, no word of a lie, a good 18 inches of dirty clothes strewn from one end to the other.
    Of course his stack was at the far end. He got quite pissed when I told him to clear a path for me. I guess he expected me to either walk over them, or clear a path myself.
    I DID charge him, he DID pay, and I never did a lick of work.

What I can't understand for the life of me, is how some folk can live in filth like that.
    I see that TV show "Hoarders", and it reminds me of that particular place.

I wonder if Mike Whats-His-Face from Dirty Jobs would take on what we run into sometimes.
    He who dies with the most toys Is still dead.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nayman For This Useful Post:

draindit (11-08-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nayman View Post
    Never, EVER quote a job sight unseen.
    I don't care if it's my own flesh & blood brother/sister.
    Show me the shit & I'll show you the quote!!!
    Lesson learned, trust me.
    Kendall
    www.westseptic.com

"Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and their politicians as a joke." Will Rogers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nayman View Post
    And then folks wonder why I charge what I do.
    I just tell them that I don't see THEM messin with their own crap.
    Anymore, I always walk into a place to see where my machines & I have to go.
    If there is crud in the way, I tell them to move it, or I'm leaving and will charge them an hour to have a look-see.
    A few months ago, I had a call from a guy whose basement had, no word of a lie, a good 18 inches of dirty clothes strewn from one end to the other.
    Of course his stack was at the far end. He got quite pissed when I told him to clear a path for me. I guess he expected me to either walk over them, or clear a path myself.
    I DID charge him, he DID pay, and I never did a lick of work.

What I can't understand for the life of me, is how some folk can live in filth like that.
    I see that TV show "Hoarders", and it reminds me of that particular place.

I wonder if Mike Whats-His-Face from Dirty Jobs would take on what we run into sometimes.
    That is what I mean. I dont get it either. I told my nightmare customer the price befor I started. I told him to, by all means, check around for a lower price. That way I could get the hell out of there. But he didnt even hesitate to ok the work.
    I dont walk away from a job when people are paying for my work and they are willing to fork over for the price of someone else dealing with their dirty habits. The work of it didnt bother me. I have been up to my neck in human waste just as much as anyone else in this buisness. It was the way that the guy practically seemed to be getting off at someone else working in, and on, his personal filth. Tha was UN nerving i could have mabey handled that part better but O well. That is why it is in drain cleaning NIGHTMARES = things not always going according to plan.
    I still wish I charged him more for chiseling the sh*t brick. But I quoted a price and I stuck to it. I will up charge all day if people expect me to work in there on purpose grime.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to draindit For This Useful Post:

laidback (01-08-2012)

Thanks

Damn, that's way gnarly. I get sent to hoarder, ( I mean "collector") houses every once in a while and it takes all my focus to stay on task to finish the service call and help them with their plumbing. I sometimes have trouble keeping track of my handtools amidst all the clutter. As for crawling through sewage filled crawl spaces...I usually just tell them they gotta call a restoration/cleanup company before I'll go in. I guess our line of work puts us in contact with all walks of life including the seriously mentally ill.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 682 Posts

I started my plumbing career is Washington D.C. One day we get a call for a toilet stoppage. It is about 10 below zero and windy. Well we get to the job and walk in the apartment. They had the thermostat set as high as it would go. had 4 or 5 electric heaters on high and they had the four burners and the oven on. It had to be well over a 100 degrees in there. the lady of the house led us down the hall to the bathroom and Dave the plumber I was working with opened the door and literally fell backwards. the toilet was full to the top they took the tank lid off and filled it then they filled the tub and the sink also, plus they had about 4 5 gallon buckets full to the top. The funny thing about it is dave took their plunger that was sitting in the bathroom and plunged it about two or three times and it cleared.
    http://alsdrainservice.services.offi...m/default.aspx
    www.alsdrainservicesemissouri.com

Hire a hack he won't be back, Hire a Pro and your good to go!!!

Office 573-866-2274 Perryville Mo 573-547-7200 Cell 573-208-6200

8. The Following User Says Thank You to alsdrainservice For This Useful Post:

laidback (01-08-2012)

Thanks

One of my scarriest was an overhead cleanout in parking garage of a small country hospital.When we pulled co it was god-awful ,thinking about all the diseases coming down.We all stripped down and bathed in BETADINE or what ever that red stuff the doctors used back then.That was before anyone ever heard about aids. No one got sick! I still think we build up a resistance to most things doing this type work!! BUT YUKS ANYWAY THINKING BACK TODAY I WOULD CULL IT!!
    still love the smell of stink in the morning

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information