Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nasty!!!

Thanks

Default Nasty!!!

Went to a call for a clogged stool. The guy was a hoarder. Looked in the toilet. Solid sh*t to the brim! I asks the guy when the last time he flushed it was, he says never. I tried to auger it and just about lost my cookies, the down head wouldnt even get near the trap. I told the dirt bag it would have to be replaced and it would cost a ton of money. He goes for it and I gear up. I lift the entire toilet which is still full to the brim an wrap a couple trash bags around it. Look down at 4'" closet flange and see it is 3/4 of the way obstructed with what appears to be rock hard piss crystal. I had to take a chisel and sledge hammer to it. pulled a brick size chunk of crystalized god knows what out of the pipe. The whole time this guy is standing over my should in this filth asking me " what is that stuff"
    I pick up the piss brick and shoved it right up under his nose.

" I don't know," I says to him. "You tell me!"

Charged him a ton and it still wasnt enough. Almost made me re evaluate my line of work. I took pictures but that phone fell into a man hole a while back. I wouldnt know how to up loadem anyway. Never seen anything like it and prolly wont ever again. Nasty-Nasty-Nasty!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to draindit For This Useful Post:

laidback (01-08-2012)

Thanks

I had one of those last year,
    Reject from the mental ward as a tenant...

I never even tried to clear the toilet, just took a hammer and broke the hold down bolts and put the whole thing in the dmpster....

So bad so bad,,, but the tenat ended up going over the top and threw a park bench onto someones hood and windshild as they drove buy...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to saccity For This Useful Post:

draindit (11-07-2011)

Thanks

I would have been scared to hit it with a hammer. my luck it would have shattered and...well you know the rest. Sounds like you didnt have any luck with it any way. Service work can be so rewarding but it can also be the worst.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,159 Posts

I had a call like that a few years ago. The woman had 2 bathrooms and both toilets were stopped up to the brim. I augered and poured hot water in each one for about 15 minutes to get them flowing. I didn't take it personaly and I didn't "stick it" to her. I try hard not to make personal judgements about people when I don't know their story. I'm just there to help them with their plumbing.

Paul

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
    Rocksteady Plumbing
    805-237-7625

"I wash my cables with sooper special zircon soap and lube them with zebra fat after every job." -Ace Sewer

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rocksteady For This Useful Post:

affordabledrains (12-29-2011), draindit (11-08-2011), gear junkie (11-08-2011), jasonlivesay (11-08-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,084 Times in 1,321 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by draindit View Post
    Went to a call for a clogged stool. The guy was a hoarder. Looked in the toilet. Solid sh*t to the brim! I asks the guy when the last time he flushed it was, he says never. I tried to auger it and just about lost my cookies, the down head wouldnt even get near the trap. I told the dirt bag it would have to be replaced and it would cost a ton of money. He goes for it and I gear up. I lift the entire toilet which is still full to the brim an wrap a couple trash bags around it. Look down at 4'" closet flange and see it is 3/4 of the way obstructed with what appears to be rock hard piss crystal. I had to take a chisel and sledge hammer to it. pulled a brick size chunk of crystalized god knows what out of the pipe. The whole time this guy is standing over my should in this filth asking me " what is that stuff"
    I pick up the piss brick and shoved it right up under his nose.

" I don't know," I says to him. "You tell me!"

Charged him a ton and it still wasnt enough. Almost made me re evaluate my line of work. I took pictures but that phone fell into a man hole a while back. I wouldnt know how to up loadem anyway. Never seen anything like it and prolly wont ever again. Nasty-Nasty-Nasty!

You always have the option to walk away.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AssTyme For This Useful Post:

draindit (11-08-2011), JERRYMAC (11-24-2011), rocksteady (11-07-2011)

Thanks

Well i tell you that i charged that guy 750.00 to pull the toilet and get rid of it and i should have charged him more for the filth that i delt with getting the line clear, but i didnt. he was practically laughing at me while i was doing it and i should have been laughing at him for what he was paying knowing the whole problem would have been preventable if he had called anyone when it first started, but i didnt laugh. He could have said no and I would have walked, I would have been glad if he said no. He said yes, I did the job and I pass judgement cause it is unacceptable for people to live like that and expect others to just deal with it like it is normal. It is not normal and shouldnt be treated like it is. I repsect your point of view but cant agree with it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to draindit For This Useful Post:

jasonlivesay (11-08-2011)

Thanks

I feel your pain. Last week a plumber friend called and asked if we could pump out a crawl space. Not that many gallons, what would you charge. Like a dummy, I imagined going to the house and sticking the suction hose in the crawl access and pumping til it wouldn't pump anymore and leaving. Shot him a WAY TO CHEAP price.

So last week we go there, Thursday I think it was, and here's the deal. This is a rental. Tenants had the kitchen/laundry branch back up. Now, if you live in a rental and a drain line clogs, what's the most logical thing to do? Call the landlord, right? OH, NO! Not these guys. They just got down there with a saw and cut the line so it could drain into the crawl space.

Well, then the sewer main clogged, so it backed up through the line they had cut and filled the crawlspace with sewage. And nobody knows for how long, all I know is it was black and sludgy, like septage. I should know, I slithered right through it on my belly.

We ended up buying chest waders, and before we went in we set up ventilation, then put on masks thickly smeared inside with Vicks Vap-O-Rub, and then the waders, then since we live in dairy country we have access to full arm length breeder sleeves, put those on, then black rubber gloves, then a rain coat with a hood, then lowered ourselves into that nasty black hole with a garden hose while one guy ran the vac hose from above floor level. I'll never forget the feeling of my knee sinking into that mess all the way up my thigh, then swinging around on my butt and scooting into position. Uugh! We washed the crawlspace down and rinsed it all toward the vac hose (it was lined with plastic). Took us all morning. My brother claims that I judging by the things he heard coming from down there I was ready to lynch the stupid tenants whole race, he said I lumped them all into one and wanted to annihilate them. I don't know what I said while I was down there, but it wasn't pretty. I try not to be racist but in the heat of the moment like that I was a little frosted the way some people can live worse than animals and seem to have no common sense.

When we got done we set up the pressure washer and set it on 1500 psi, gave each other a wash job right along the street. At that point I didn't care what people thought.

BTW, every drain cleaner should keep a jar of Vicks on their dash. A good thick bead of that stuff on your upper lip just under your nostrils can go a long way toward making the really nasty ones bearable. In all honesty, I never smelled the sewage on this job due to the Vicks in my mask.
    Kendall
    www.westseptic.com

"Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and their politicians as a joke." Will Rogers

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SewerRat For This Useful Post:

dcman (11-08-2011), draindit (11-08-2011), frisco kid (12-27-2011), laidback (01-08-2012), phishfood (11-08-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,680 Posts

There is a difference between helping somebody out and people just being abusive and stupid.....I don't blame you for charging and being upset....you might have been better off walking the job....I know that nobody likes to walk, but somethings aren't worth it and can't be paid with money....
    I did get called once to fix a leak under a house on a rental, upon looking under house I saw needles and drug paraphernalia galore....nope....called landlord and respectfully declined....
    I have been in the same position with a solid crapped in toilet and its difficult to deal with...I am not sure how I would handle it if a auger didn't get it flowing....but I do charge quite a bit extra for the job....if people can afford to pay extra then they could have afforded to pay normal a lot sooner....
    It is kinda the great thing about being one of the highest priced person is it reduces those kinds of situations for me....
    You can't scare me...I'm a plumber!!!!
    You Can Fire Me...But You Can't Tell Me What To Do.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 957 Posts

[QUOTE=SewerRat;30190]I feel your pain. Last week a plumber friend called and asked if we could pump out a crawl space. Not that many gallons, what would you charge. Like a dummy, I imagined going to the house and sticking the suction hose in the crawl access and pumping til it wouldn't pump anymore and leaving. Shot him a WAY TO CHEAP price.

So last week we go there, Thursday I think it was, and here's the deal. This is a rental. Tenants had the kitchen/laundry branch back up. Now, if you live in a rental and a drain line clogs, what's the most logical thing to do? Call the landlord, right? OH, NO! Not these guys. They just got down there with a saw and cut the line so it could drain into the crawl space.

Never, EVER quote a job sight unseen.
    I don't care if it's my own flesh & blood brother/sister.
    Show me the shit & I'll show you the quote!!!
    He who dies with the most toys Is still dead.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nayman For This Useful Post:

SewerRat (11-08-2011)

Thanks

I wouldn't have charged any extra, but I wouldn't have done it, either.

Went on one last friday-

Said a spoon was dropped in the toilet and couldn't get it out. What she didn't say was they had been using it for a week after the stool wouldn't flush.

I walked in, looked at it and told her to clean it out and call me back. I was polite, but firm. She didn't like it and never called back.

Just because you want to live in squaller doesn't mean I gotta work in it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Colgar For This Useful Post:

affordabledrains (12-29-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information