Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Liquid Drano

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    87
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Default Liquid Drano

    Just got a call for a plugged drain. the guy mentioned that he dumped a gallon of liquid drano down to see if that would cure the problem. Anything i need to be careful with knowing there is drano in the line? i don't want to wreck my equipment and this is the first time i have known there was drano in a line.

    Joe

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    California/Nevada/Utah
    Posts
    89
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 55 Times in 25 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilton View Post
    Just got a call for a plugged drain. the guy mentioned that he dumped a gallon of liquid drano down to see if that would cure the problem. Anything i need to be careful with knowing there is drano in the line? i don't want to wreck my equipment and this is the first time i have known there was drano in a line.

    Joe
    Make sure you tell him you have to charge him a cable charge before you start.

    Mark

  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ToUtahNow For This Useful Post:

    dcman (07-07-2011), DRAINSMITH (07-06-2011), Joe Tilton (07-06-2011), SewerRatz (07-06-2011), UnclogNH (07-06-2011)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SOUTH WEST IOWA
    Posts
    1,651
    Thanks
    658
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 625 Posts

    Default

    I wear a respirator and goggles. Most think that it is over kill but visit your spare body part store and see how well they are stocked up on eyeballs and lungs..... then make your own mind up.
    www.drainsmith.com
    712 256-2566
    vote or don't whine and buy more ammo

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRAINSMITH For This Useful Post:

    dcman (07-07-2011), UnclogNH (07-06-2011)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    359
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 170 Times in 106 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRAINSMITH View Post
    I wear a respirator and goggles. Most think that it is over kill but visit your spare body part store and see how well they are stocked up on eyeballs and lungs..... then make your own mind up.
    I agree, I did a main line recently, clean out it the back yard.
    Set down my mat, set up my equipent and went to work.
    I later found that the lye in the draino ate all the skin off my knees.
    Had scabs on my knees for several weeks afterwords.....
    This was back when I worked for a large company, worked from 9 pm to 11 pm, before giving up.
    Sent someone else over in the morning, House had been vacant for several years while Grandma was in a nursing home. Significant roots, years worth...

    Did another line recently with lots of draino in it.

    My question is what does the draino do to my cables?
    What does the draino do to the pipes???

    I just bought new machines, after one job with draino here is what happened to the finish.
    What does this do to my cables? Let alone what is it going to do to me?
    2011-06-18_17-34-25_957.jpg

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    1,452
    Thanks
    979
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 613 Posts

    Default

    I never charged extra for chemicals because I never felt like they truly diminish the life of my cables.


    Someone made a good point here once though. Damage to clothes. I don't know how many pairs of pants/shirts I have ruined. I now charge extra.



    A good question to ask them is. Have you used ANY other chemicals bleach or anything?
    Also make sure you know what they actually used. Draino does not bother my skin all that much. Customer said he used Draino. I had some drip down my arm under my jacket. Got bit warm, them a bit warmer, then HOT, then it started BURNING. Got out of the crawl space and into the 10 degrees, pulled my sleeve up and i see holes in my skin. Stripped my coat and shirts off and started rubbing with snow.No help. Then I remembered a lesson from an old duffer when I was a kid. Ran into their house half naked and washed with warm water in the tub.

    HO tells me after it was not Draino, it was some industrial stuff his father gave him.


    I have since learned HO's will call all of it Draino. It's a universal term I guess. Kind of like calling all hex wrenches "Allen wrench" or calling all snakes a "roto rooter".

    Draino is not all that bad. Agent Orange MEGA 5000 clog melter/ rocket fuel is a whole other ball game.


    Also if he said he used "1 gal" that really means he used at least two gals.
    INSIGHT PIPE of MAINE Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Catch basin cleaning. Pipe camera inspection/locating. Trenchless pipe repair. Root clog removal. Clogged toilets..We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com
    waterville winslow bangor newport skowhegan pittsfield fairfield augusta benton madison oakland sidney norridgewock

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gene bickford For This Useful Post:

    Colgar (07-06-2011), dcman (07-07-2011), Redwood (07-06-2011)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SOUTH WEST IOWA
    Posts
    1,651
    Thanks
    658
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 625 Posts

    Default

    The danger lies when one chemical dosen't work and they pour an other brand on top of the first one. This can kill you before you know what has happened. It's called dry drowning and is very painfull. I spent 3 day in the hospital and 6 months out of work because of this. I now have problems breathing in extrem hot and cold weather. 1/4 of my left lung has scare tissue from chem burns.
    www.drainsmith.com
    712 256-2566
    vote or don't whine and buy more ammo

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DRAINSMITH For This Useful Post:

    Colgar (07-06-2011), dcman (07-07-2011), gene bickford (07-06-2011), Redwood (07-06-2011)

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sedgewickville, Missouri
    Posts
    1,085
    Thanks
    222
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 682 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gene bickford View Post
    I never charged extra for chemicals because I never felt like they truly diminish the life of my cables.


    Someone made a good point here once though. Damage to clothes. I don't know how many pairs of pants/shirts I have ruined. I now charge extra.



    A good question to ask them is. Have you used ANY other chemicals bleach or anything?
    Also make sure you know what they actually used. Draino does not bother my skin all that much. Customer said he used Draino. I had some drip down my arm under my jacket. Got bit warm, them a bit warmer, then HOT, then it started BURNING. Got out of the crawl space and into the 10 degrees, pulled my sleeve up and i see holes in my skin. Stripped my coat and shirts off and started rubbing with snow.No help. Then I remembered a lesson from an old duffer when I was a kid. Ran into their house half naked and washed with warm water in the tub.

    HO tells me after it was not Draino, it was some industrial stuff his father gave him.


    I have since learned HO's will call all of it Draino. It's a universal term I guess. Kind of like calling all hex wrenches "Allen wrench" or calling all snakes a "roto rooter".

    Draino is not all that bad. Agent Orange MEGA 5000 clog melter/ rocket fuel is a whole other ball game.


    Also if he said he used "1 gal" that really means he used at least two gals.
    Carry a box of baking on your truck. It will neutralize the acid.
    http://alsdrainservice.services.offi...m/default.aspx
    www.alsdrainservicesemissouri.com

    Hire a hack he won't be back, Hire a Pro and your good to go!!!

    Office 573-866-2274 Perryville Mo 573-547-7200 Cell 573-208-6200

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to alsdrainservice For This Useful Post:

    gene bickford (07-06-2011)

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    6,675
    Thanks
    4,605
    Thanked 3,935 Times in 2,305 Posts

    Default

    Back when I worked for an outfit that had 100% cotton shirts for us to wear it was easy to tell what you mixed it up with on a drain call....

    If the drain cleaner was bleach based like the draino and liquid plumber you had a bleached shirt come out of the wash....
    Get enough white spots on the otherwise dark colored shirt and and it was time for a new one....

    When you have a run in with a sulfuric acid based drain cleaner like clobber and it looks like someone was blasting away at your clothes with a scattergun while they were hanging out to dry...



    The outfit I work for now has polyester shirts and pants and they are not touched by the chemicals...
    You know you've been hit when you start burning and itching though...

    scattergun.jpg
    "99% of Being Smart...
    Is Knowing What You're Dumb At"


    411 Plumb | Click Here For A Free Internet Plumbing Directory Listing | Plumb 411

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    967
    Thanks
    264
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 517 Posts

    Default

    Ive never noticed that liquid Drain cleaners really damage my equiptment therfore ive never charged extra, I have ruined a few shirts and do wear safety glasses if I know its in the line, but I always Run water down the drain while I am retreiving my cable to wash it off and have never really had a problem.

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    1,071
    Thanks
    409
    Thanked 921 Times in 415 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRAINSMITH View Post
    The danger lies when one chemical dosen't work and they pour an other brand on top of the first one. This can kill you before you know what has happened. It's called dry drowning and is very painfull. I spent 3 day in the hospital and 6 months out of work because of this. I now have problems breathing in extrem hot and cold weather. 1/4 of my left lung has scare tissue from chem burns.
    I had almost the same thing happen at a McPuke's years ago.

    Pulled a urinal off the wall. They had been pouring every super duper industrial strength chemical known to man down the thing.

    The building had a bad negative air problem and when I pulled it off the wall all the fumes from the chemical cocktail came rolling out of the drain.

    I literally crawled, on my hands and knees out of the bathroom door and outside, where I laid on the sidewalk, coughing and gasping for breath. Next thing I know, there's a cop in my face wanting to know what the problem was. I couldn't get any words out between gasps and coughs. He called for an ambulance. I started getting better. The paramedics showed up. Of course I was a tough (stupid) kid back then. I asked for a couple snorts of oxygen and said I was fine. I hurt for a long time after that.

    I've often wondered how much damage I actually have from that day.

    Now whenever I pull a urinal I ask if they've poured anything in it. I explain why i want to know and then say "and don't lie to me. I WILL know and I WILL be in your face about it."

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Colgar For This Useful Post:

    dcman (07-07-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The results of drano
    By jhplumbing in forum General Plumbing Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 12:38 PM
  2. Is Drano or Liquid Plumber Considered "Green" these days?
    By HouseTrap in forum "Green" Drain Cleaning & Products
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 08:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •