Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: hello new guy just started cleaning drains on the side

gremesmiith is offline I Spam Therefore I Am banned
    Thanks

I started doing this, and when I'm sick of the guy who did show up days later, my rent, or drunk. The cable will run, not once, throwing a dull block, then take a complete cut. Not tell him how to do his work, I just started my own.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 559 Posts

My question, as an admittedly green fellow, is why not help the dude out?

He admitted to being green and wanted some advice, and all anyone told him was how he was gonna fail and how he should go work for someone else, then start his own. You think that business owner is going to be happy about it?

He, and i for that matter, see an opportunity to better ourselves and fill a need. This seems like the likely place to go to learn some of those things.

He asked about pvc, and no one told him anything. They just told him he's gonna fail. Frustrating when someone's afraid to ask questions that could prevent serious issues, and they get laughed at.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 613 Posts

Since your name is Buckeye Bow Hunter I'm going to assume you are an avid deer/bow hunter. You probably have been hunting with your father, family, and friends for years and years.

Me, I have gone hunting all of maybe 2 times in my 38yrs. I don't have a problem with hunting, in fact I had a good time. My problem is, I just can't pull the trigger. I've helped friends bring their kill in from the woods, gut their kill, and many more times enjoyed the meat of their kill.

Most of my family and friends have been hunting since they where children. I have taken part in hours upon hours of hunting conversations.

So lets just say tomorrow I decide to quit my job and feed my family solely on hunting. I take all my money and buy all the best gear money can buy. I buy the bow of your dreams, the best blind on the market, a bunch of books on hunting, and join a hunting forum so I can ask questions like "is it OK to hunt deer at night with a spotlight"?.

It should be easy for me right? I just have to have the right bow and gear. I mean all you do is go out to the woods, shoot a deer and come back with meat right?

So, you think I should quit my job and feed my family solely on hunting?

It sounds like that would be a foolish choice for me. My family would starve in a month.
    Maybe I should keep asking questions on a hunting forum and actually go hunting with friends/family for a couple seasons before I make that decision.

No one is being a dick to Drain guy, We are just giving him the best advice we can offer and that is 'STOP THE BUS! step back and take a look at what you are doing. steps, just like the way we all learned drain cleaning and you learned hunting.

Nothing wrong with asking a 'simple' question. I do it quite often because I want to know, not assume I know, and like someone else said 'been doing this for years and still learn something every day'.
    INSIGHT PIPE of MAINE Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Catch basin cleaning. Pipe camera inspection/locating. Trenchless pipe repair. Root clog removal. Clogged toilets..We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com
    waterville winslow bangor newport skowhegan pittsfield fairfield augusta benton madison oakland sidney norridgewock

Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 613 Posts

Again with the smilies????
    I didn't click that, I only spelled b-a-b-y.
    INSIGHT PIPE of MAINE Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Catch basin cleaning. Pipe camera inspection/locating. Trenchless pipe repair. Root clog removal. Clogged toilets..We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com
    waterville winslow bangor newport skowhegan pittsfield fairfield augusta benton madison oakland sidney norridgewock

Thanks
    Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,680 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBowhunter View Post

He admitted to being green and wanted some advice, and all anyone told him was how he was gonna fail and how he should go work for someone else, then start his own. You think that business owner is going to be happy about it?

He, and i for that matter, see an opportunity to better ourselves and fill a need. This seems like the likely place to go to learn some of those things.

He asked about pvc, and no one told him anything. They just told him he's gonna fail. Frustrating when someone's afraid to ask questions that could prevent serious issues, and they get laughed at.
    I think the point was is this...drain cleaning is very difficult without a trainer..I know that I am glad somebody showed me the ropes...its a very difficult trade to teach over the computer....a person can get killed or maimed in this profession...I say ask Drainguy now how is everything and ask him to re read his post and I bet he will admit the most he learned was hands-on and the forum is a wonderful guide but not a substitute for the real deal...Man you gotta remember that it has taken us a lot of years with blood, sweat, tears, money, and a life to get where we are and there is no magical formula to what we do...it was nothing personal in the end..
    You can't scare me...I'm a plumber!!!!
    You Can Fire Me...But You Can't Tell Me What To Do.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Don't go there!

Trust me on this one.

1/3 of their people turn over every year. Does that sound like success?
    Wow - That's not a bad turn over.
    The Shop I was at had 132 people quit last year in a shop of about 25 plumbers.
    Generally hire 4 to 5 people per week. Seemed like they preferred pizza drivers over people with experience plumbing. Getting a body on site was more important than skill level.
    Michael

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 957 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBowhunter View Post

So after 6 pages of back & forth, I'm wading in on this.
    BuckeyeBow? No one is laughing at DrainGuy.
    He asked for advice, and, like all the different guys that are on DCF, he got different advice from most. Not something we like to hear, but dammit, all opinions are like assholes.
    We all have one, and they're all fulla shit.
    UNLESS, of course, they happen to be what you wanna hear.

Do you remember the first time you put a cable between your fingers to "feel" what was happening on the other end? I do.
    What about the time when the summabitch flipped over in your hand and caused excruciating pain in your wrist and the finger that got caught in a different loop? I do.
    And the time you got your cable stuck for the first time? No amount of pulling, yanking or anything else would free it up?

HOW IN HELL DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT TO SOMEONE IN A FORUM like ours?
    Sure, I would like nothing more than to help DrainGuy. But how do you want me to explain the "feel" of the cable when in reality he should be here beside me feeling what I do?
    It's not a case of ramming your rodder down the line, and expecting results and you know it. It takes finesse, no different than an artist with a brush on a canvas. It takes skill to assess which cutter to use, never mind which machine is the one for the job at hand.
    It takes a keen eye to look over your cable as it pays out to see how much longer it'll last before it needs replacing.

So, even with just a couple of months shy of 5 years in the biz, why am I on DCF?
    It sure ain't on account I like to talk about work after I'm done my day.
    I'm here to learn, to ask questions, and to STFU when I have nothing of value to add to the conversation.(unless it's a meaningless thread, IMHO)
    It's the same reason why, at age 57, I have decided to become an apprentice plumber.

There are just things that can not be book-learned.
    And the art of drain cleaning is one.
    Hence some of the comments.
    He who dies with the most toys Is still dead.

Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by dcman View Post
    I think the point was is this...drain cleaning is very difficult without a trainer..I know that I am glad somebody showed me the ropes...its a very difficult trade to teach over the computer....a person can get killed or maimed in this profession...I say ask Drainguy now how is everything and ask him to re read his post and I bet he will admit the most he learned was hands-on and the forum is a wonderful guide but not a substitute for the real deal...Man you gotta remember that it has taken us a lot of years with blood, sweat, tears, money, and a life to get where we are and there is no magical formula to what we do...it was nothing personal in the end..
    So true hands on is the way then I come here to get the tried and true tricks that would have taken years for me to figure out. As of now I am getting it I am twice as fast no dum timely miss calls ( bring in wrong machine, try to go threw floor drain when clean out is right in front of me) errors I beat myself over could have been out in an hour but was a dummy think think think first

Thanks
    Thanked 2,444 Times in 1,680 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drainguy View Post
    So true hands on is the way then I come here to get the tried and true tricks that would have taken years for me to figure out. As of now I am getting it I am twice as fast no dum timely miss calls ( bring in wrong machine, try to go threw floor drain when clean out is right in front of me) errors I beat myself over could have been out in an hour but was a dummy think think think first
    I was a drum guy for 15 years...got my K-60 last month..been having problems with it, but its a good machine...I am starting to think some of the problems are operator issues...so it shows you that its a deal sometime to learn this stuff...its all about growing and learning...When I first started it took a while to figure it out....drain cleaning is mostly troubleshooting, figuring out where you need to cable...then typically the cabling for the most part is easy, most of the time....Have you been able to tell plumbers from plumber/drain cleaners yet via the plumbing in a building?
    You can't scare me...I'm a plumber!!!!
    You Can Fire Me...But You Can't Tell Me What To Do.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass....and I'm all out of bubblegum...

Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to drainguy For This Useful Post:

fixitright (12-19-2017)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information