Thread: Alternatives to basin wrench?

Thanks

Default Alternatives to basin wrench?

Got a 35 year old Gerbet bathroom faucet in need to replacement. Been fight all day trying to break the locknet loose and this is with three different basic wrenches. Even soaked the offending locknuts with both kroil and PB Blaster the night before. Anyone know the correct sized deepwall socket I should purchase?...I have a partial set of deep wall sockets but nothing close to what I think I need. Hate to purchase a set of standard deep wall sockets only to find I then need metric sizes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 646 Posts

I use a small drill bit. Drill through it,then peal it off with a screwdriver.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jhplumbing For This Useful Post:

UnclogNH (09-30-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,934 Times in 2,304 Posts

Put a basin wrench that has a square shaft on that nut then put a large adjustable wrench on the shaft...

It will come undone...

I also have a Roto Zip tool that I put a abrasive cutoff tool in that slices through them nicely.
    "99% of Being Smart...
    Is Knowing What You're Dumb At"

411 Plumb | Click Here For A Free Internet Plumbing Directory Listing | Plumb 411

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,159 Posts

I think cutting it off is going to be your next step. Do like jh said and drill it or if you can get a tiny tim hand saw in there you can split it that way. I'm thinking if you've pounded on it with 3 different basin wrenches the nut is destroyed and even if you had the correct socket, it wouldn't fit. There are some hole saw type deals that are marketed for this sort of problem.

http://www.perfectoproducts.net/inde...faucet-nut-saw

There are also nut-crackers that will thread on the 1/2" shaft and split the brass nut.

http://www.faucetdepot.com/faucetdep...ChannelAdvisor

Paul

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
    Rocksteady Plumbing
    805-237-7625

"I wash my cables with sooper special zircon soap and lube them with zebra fat after every job." -Ace Sewer

Thanks

Default Redwood Rules!

This forums rocks especially "Redwood". Got so hung up trying 3 different basin wrenches I never bothered to ever wonder why the Rigid basin wrench besides being adjustable in length came with a square shaft.... now I know why after seeing Redwood's response. Took your advice and put a 12 inch adjustable wrench after extending the Rigid basin wrench to a comfortable length, leaned into the adjustable wrench and it broke free.

Redwood I owe you a least a good beer or a glass of Merlot!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to swong For This Useful Post:

Redwood (09-30-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,159 Posts

Glad it worked out for you. I have a Ridgid basin wrench that I twisted with a Crescent wrench doing something similar. Now it won't adjust to the smaller lengths. It takes something REALY TIGHT to do that.

Paul

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
    Rocksteady Plumbing
    805-237-7625

"I wash my cables with sooper special zircon soap and lube them with zebra fat after every job." -Ace Sewer

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rocksteady For This Useful Post:

Redwood (09-30-2010), UnclogNH (09-30-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 682 Posts

I have used tub wrenches before and shoved a chisel into the other end and put a 14 inch pipe wrench on it.
    http://alsdrainservice.services.offi...m/default.aspx
    www.alsdrainservicesemissouri.com

Hire a hack he won't be back, Hire a Pro and your good to go!!!

Office 573-866-2274 Perryville Mo 573-547-7200 Cell 573-208-6200

Thanks

Default follow-up thoughts....

Follow-up 10/2/2010: FYI, Gerber faucet locknuts in my case were 1-1/8 inch ... verified using my neighbors 1/2 inch impact socket set. Second matching American Standard Hampton bathroom faucet installed this morning using 1-1/8 inch impact socket with a Sears 1/2 inch ratchet...broke both hot & cold locknuts easily with socket and ratchet. Wife very, very happy especially with the porcelin cross handles on these new bathroom faucets .... now have peace in the house and I can finally go back to sleep.

You can find fantastic plumbing deals on eBay...I have been using Ebay for years. A high end American Standard bathroom faucet typically retailing for $200-$300 occassionally can be bid and won for $30 in quantity lots which was what I accomplished. Downside being one faucet set had broken porcelin handles. I plan on using this incomplete set for parts
    Last edited by swong; 10-02-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Thread Information