PDA

View Full Version : Pipe bursting question

NYC drain guy
08-31-2012, 07:03 PM
This may be a stupid question but I don't know much about pipe bursting and i'm trying to learn. My question is how do you get the pulling cable through the damaged section of pipe in order to connect to the bursting head? How does that cable make it through a broken pipe if a sewer cable can't? We don't have a lot of pipe bursting in the NYC area and i'd like to learn as much as I can about it. Thanks for any info.

Redwood
08-31-2012, 07:21 PM
It's one of those "Anything Goes" situations, If you can't get the cable through you aren't bursting...

Options include but aren't limited to:

Running the snake through with a small blade or, single blade then using the snake to pull the cable.
Trying from the opposite direction.
Using the jetter.
Using the camera to guide it through.
Locating and digging the bad spot preventing you from getting through.

Whatever it takes to get the job done.

NYC drain guy
08-31-2012, 07:42 PM
It's one of those "Anything Goes" situations, If you can't get the cable through you aren't bursting...

Running the snake through with a small blade or, single blade then using the snake to pull the cable.
Using the jetter.

So if the line is completely gone in a section you cant burst unless you dig a third hole? Generally, do you push the cable upstream by hand?

Redwood
08-31-2012, 08:16 PM
No usually we will pull it through the line.

If there is no way to get through an area then it has to be dug.

XKV8R
11-01-2012, 12:12 PM

Using the jetter.

All great points!

Also, We have had alot of success getting the snake up the pipe(after digging at the lower end of the section to be replaced) when the drain cleaner was unable to get the snake down the line.

Vitz