PDA

View Full Version : Another darn Granite Boulder!

Cuda
08-10-2012, 07:09 PM
We just are finishing a rather large pipe burst job. House has 2 sewer lines that Y together. Problem was they have no usable yard space, planter boxes everywhere! And real deep main sewer 6-7 feet. Here is a link to just a few photos on facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Seattle-Drain-Service/182173475152440
Thing I learned on this job was to use the line trace feature on ridgid seesnakes. If you use the line trace and go real slow with the locater you can pick up on weird pipe patterns. On this job there was a spot on the sewer where it angled off course for about 4 feet then came back to the original heading... hmmmmm. So I picked that area as one of my excavation pits and bam! Another dang huge graanite boulder was there. The original sewer guys 100 years ago just made a little path around it with the sewer. Since we had excavated there we where able to dig and use a pressure washer spraying next to the pipe and the boulder and just squeeze by! This is like the 3rd boulder in 2 months I have ran into but this time I was as prepared as I could be. I am now going to use the line trace feature on every bid.

dcman
08-10-2012, 09:44 PM
So glad you do that kinda of shat.....but that's why you make the big bucks!!!:confused:

Cuda
08-11-2012, 02:22 AM
So glad you do that kinda of shat.....but that's why you make the big bucks!!!:confused:

Right on! I don't make big bucks though I have a lot of guys doing the same job I do so the market makes the end all price like it does on everything. I have all the things on my list and now I am trying to update my equipment to newer stuff for reliability and cosmetics. But I like the work and problem solving is the biggest thing to me not money, I just need enough for me to live and my guys. But I sure would love a vacation i have not had one in 6 years, lol.