PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Bursting a water main

Cuda
03-04-2012, 11:27 AM
This turned into one of those hell jobs. 180' water main replacement through a heavily treed yard, then under a road with 2 other water mains, with buried power,cable,and gas. The pictures show the path through the yard which was hard but doable. The hard part with water lines is you don't have all the information before you start like you would with a sewer. You can't camera the line to look for splices (prior repairs) couplers or worse what we ran into. On this line the gas company guys had broken the line and had fixed it with gas guys stuff! The spliced in what looked like a 1" steel coupler that was not going to be split with our water line splitter and it just got pulled to our pulling pit. Now our host line was gone and we had to excavate where we thought our best spot was. All and all the job got done but took 2 extra days to complete. Another simple thing that can stop a good trenchless water line install is black poly couplers because there are usually 4 stainless hose clamps that will not split but rather become a dam and then the old line is just pulled toward the burster and you have to cut the line every foot as it comes toward you. This line had 6 couplers because the guys who built the house where just scabbing in whatever short pieces of poly they had on hand. Sometimes water mains are easy other times they will stress you out to no end. And you never really know what it will be till you start and the people have no water till you finish so that adds to the pressure of completing the job. When use the mole and just plain create a new line it is sometimes easier than bursting out an old line. But the moles have there problems too!

Will
03-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Like that Dingo you got there. I want one of those, make back filling a breeze. Want brand of trench-less do you use?

Cuda
03-04-2012, 11:40 AM
TRIC tools pipe burster.

Cuda
03-04-2012, 11:42 AM
And the dingo is great a big time saver! I can back fill in 1 hour what would take 4 guys 4 hours to do. We used it on this job to brace against the pipe burster cribbing to keep it upright because when you are only down 2-3 feet the walls of the pulling pit are not as stable.

Will
03-04-2012, 02:46 PM
What is the price on a Dingo like you got? I'd be interested in something like this is the price is right.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/Professional-Contractor/Compact-Utility/Attachments/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=23163-Backhoe

Cuda
03-04-2012, 10:18 PM
What is the price on a Dingo like you got? I'd be interested in something like this is the price is right.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/Professional-Contractor/Compact-Utility/Attachments/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=23163-Backhoe

I rented that attachement it was ok, depends on the job. Notice the side stabilizers that go up and down, when down you can't get close to the house and do a long trench. If you try to use it with them up then you have to go real slow and take smaller amounts in the bucket. But for wide open areas it's great! It is easier to bring along to the job than a bigger trailer with the excavator and since I take the dingo to most jobs I am going to buy one. I have been after this one for a while almost got it down to the price I will pay......
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/2877454231.html
Our dingo is the wide track model which is great for the excavator attachment but sometimes I wish I had the narrow model for gates in backyards. I paid 7k for ours used one of the best tools I ever bought, it saves so much on time and labor. When I get done with the actual sewer install I want to leave as fast as possible and the Dingo makes that happen.